3pm kick offs in town

There was another Mayo fella on here (can't remember his name though). As for my accent; impossible for me to judge. I probably have at this stage, after being among all the spud eating, guinness slurping natives. You've got that 'sh' bit spot on though!

Sorry; shpot on! Now, where's me hang sangwich and cuppa tay?
Yeah, I've a good pal from yonder Ballina direction where I'm living now. He's just religious about Gaelic football and hating people from Dublin, or as he calls them/me, 'a whest brit jackeen bastard'. Charming.
Fucking hillarious when they inevitably lose in the semi's/final every year, serves him right for the abuse I've to put up with. Lovely fella otherwise!

Yeah, I've a good pal from yonder Ballina direction where I'm living now. He's just religious about Gaelic football and hating people from Dublin, or as he calls them/me, 'a whest brit jackeen bastard'. Charming.
Fucking hillarious when they inevitably lose in the semi's/final every year, serves him right for the abuse I've to put up with. Lovely fella otherwise!
That's the famous Mayo curse! Just one more from that team of 1951 to pop his clogs and then we're in business. We call the dubs "Jackeens", they call us "culchies". As the hip young kids would say; it's all bantz, innit blud?

Ireland was a very dangerous place in the 80s(as you know) so was Mosside(as you know) I was being flippant about Moss Sides reputation
I left Moss Side (Claremont Road) in 1973, when we moved to Longsight (Birch Hall Lane). I know the words "frying pan" and "fire" spring to mind
;-)
but, honest truth, there was none of that Gunchester stuff that I was aware of when we lived in Moss Side. And the riots didn't take place until '81, when we were in Longsight. And where we were in Longsight was relatively quiet up until we left it in '82. Hard to believe, I know. But that's the truth. The reason for the ? was the "bon" bit in your previous post, which I can't figure out. Nothing more sinister than that. And down here in Mayo was very quiet. Most of the tensions at that time was in the border counties (Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth).

That's the famous Mayo curse! Just one more from that team of 1951 to pop his clogs and then we're in business. We call the dubs "Jackeens", they call us "culchies". As the hip young kids would say; it's all bantz, innit blud?
I enjoy the craic wth you lot from outside the pale, my wife is from Kerry so I'm well used to the abuse. In fairness, it's always good natured, apart from the odd fella from Cork who can get a bit moody about Dubs.
I can only imagine what the change was like moving from Manchester to Mayo as a 20 year old, it's normally leaving the village for the bright lights at that age.
I did a half marathon on Achill Island about five years ago and there were a couple of cockney lads who'd moved over as they'd married local women. They seemed happy as pigs in shit in fairness, Achill would be a bit too remote for me mind!

I enjoy the craic wth you lot from outside the pale, my wife is from Kerry so I'm well used to the abuse. In fairness, it's always good natured, apart from the odd fella from Cork who can get a bit moody about Dubs.
I can only imagine what the change was like moving from Manchester to Mayo as a 20 year old, it's normally leaving the village for the bright lights at that age.
I did a half marathon on Achill Island about five years ago and there were a couple of cockney lads who'd moved over as they'd married local women. They seemed happy as pigs in shit in fairness, Achill would be a bit too remote for me mind!
Cork? Surprised you can understand them! Achill; it's a nice spot on the 3 nice days we get each summer. But when you have a force 10 coming in off the Atlantic in January, it's a bit bleak. As someone once said, it's not quite the arse end of nowhere, but you can see it from there! Missus from Kerry? All Ireland day could be, er, interesting in the Paul household this year. The kingdom will have us next sunday so, unless you lot fuck up against Tyrone the following weekend, the old rivalry will be back on in "Croker" come Sept 17th.

"Kerry for the holidays, Dublin for Sam", I suppose, yeah?

Cork? Surprised you can understand them! Achill; it's a nice spot on the 3 nice days we get each summer. But when you have a force 10 coming in off the Atlantic in January, it's a bit bleak. As someone once said, it's not quite the arse end of nowhere, but you can see it from there! Missus from Kerry? All Ireland day could be, er, interesting in the Paul household this year. The kingdom will have us next sunday so, unless you lot fuck up against Tyrone the following weekend, the old rivalry will be back on in "Croker" come Sept 17th.

"Kerry for the holidays, Dublin for Sam", I suppose, yeah?
Pretty much that chief! They don't half take it seriously down there, every bloody conversation is about the county team! Caherdaniel is where she hails from though and it's a beautiful spot, pisses rain constantly but the kids love it. A load of teenagers from Cork had a three day rave over the bank holiday weekend down at the local beach, the wife said she was tempted to go down for a mooch for old times sake!
I think Mayo might actually finally do it this year, thwy'll be battle hardened after all the games. I'm a proper blow in though, I only start watching the big games in August, it was never really my sport.

Pretty much that chief! They don't half take it seriously down there, every bloody conversation is about the county team! Caherdaniel is where she hails from though and it's a beautiful spot, pisses rain constantly but the kids love it. A load of teenagers from Cork had a three day rave over the bank holiday weekend down at the local beach, the wife said she was tempted to go down for a mooch for old times sake!
I think Mayo might actually finally do it this year, thwy'll be battle hardened after all the games. I'm a proper blow in though, I only start watching the big games in August, it was never really my sport.
Ditto. I'm not really a big "bogball" man, to be honest. Though you tend to get caught up in the buzz in the run up to an All Ireland. I'd imagine that buzz is fading (to a degree) for the Dubs, with them getting there nearly every year now. The novelty isn't there any more.

The reason for the ? was the "bon" bit in your previous post, which I can't figure out. (Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth).

simulation of half writing "Bonkers'...I thought about leaving the K...but Bonk looked even more piss takey ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.