70's awaydays

My first away was Everton with my dad about 1979 ish. We were in their main stand and to be honest I can't remember it much. The second was the Derby when Reeves scored with a header, I think from a corner. My dad left me at the railings at the front and stood what seemed like miles away. The place went mental when it went in and I was shitting it as was crushed to fuck at the bottom.

First away on my own was Oldham 84. 2-0 win in the days of Tolmie and Parlane. We went by train from Victoria and walked to the ground with a group of lads who were on the train who bricked the pub putting two windows through.

I enjoyed reading that, PB.

Good job tha speak Yorkshire.
Another of my flatmates was a Leeds fan from Wakefield and was broad Yorkshire so I just imitated him. Funnily enough I'd seen him before the game, getting off the bus while I was waiting for the other two. I thought about saying hello then realised what he was like when he had a few pints in him and there was a bus full of the bastards so I hid sharpish.

Went to loads of aways in the 70s ,was at Chelsea in fa cup & ecwc we took thousands both times ,while it might have been scary for some going to away games no one liked coming to Maine road in them days especialy at night games

West Ham. Got the football special down and got into Upton Park early thinking we'd be safer inside the ground. No chance. The ICF were all over the place and it was a choice between getting a good kicking or getting out. So we took the latter option and fucked off back to Euston before the game had even kicked off.

Leeds. Horrible place to visit at any time but this one time (December 1977) I was staying over with a mate who was a City fan who lived there. Had a shoulder bag with my overnight stuff in and my City scarf was buried well out of sight. They were also doing the 3rd round FA Cup draw that evening straight after the games so I had a little transistor radio with me to listen to it. We's lost 2-0 and were walking back into Leeds surrounded by thousands of Leeds fans who were occasionally rushing off and having a go at City fans going back to the station.

Then the draw came on and I've got a hundred of the fuckers round me listening to it, with me doing a running commentary in my best Yorkshire accent. Then came "Leeds United. Will play........Manchester City". I nearly forgot myself and was about to say "We've got to come back here" then remembered where I was and said "We've got...er City again lads. Great."

So three weeks later we're back for the FA Cup game and the two of us met up with another mate (we'd all been student flatmates) who was a Leeds fan. So we had seats in the stand and that was the game they invaded the pitch and tried to get the game called off when they were losing. I'd gone over in the car with some mates who were in the City end and they were kept in for a while after the game as a precaution, hweareas we got out OK. Unfortunately all that did was give the Leeds fans plenty of time to get round to that end of the ground and there was all sorts of things being lobbed into and out of the ground. My scarf was tied round my waist, under my coat and jumper, and I walked past all this to get back to the car. I got past the main Leeds mob without problems but a few minutes later they let the City fans out who came charging out en masse to have it out with the Leeds fans. They all legged it and I'm there on my own in no man's land with a couple of thousand Blues heading my way. Then it suddenly occurred to me that they don't know I'm a Blue and they're going to do me. So I quickly had to whip my coat and jumper up, grab my scarf and stood there waving it around.

don't know where you got that from as I was in the lowfields side with the rest of the city fans and we was let out of the same time, I was going out and a bout 15 leeds fans came throu the gate, 1 lad was giving it the big I am and turned round to see his mates all running away and him on his own. and as I walked out of the ground there was utd fans one side of the road near the chippy and city fans the other side, then a few buses went by and then objects was thrown over the busses to us, then when busses moved on it kicked off. remembered walking to car/ bus park and there was about 50 leeds fans in the rugby grond[ hunslet rugby ] and loads of city went in after them and only city came out. back on M62 going towards the A1 and had my scarf out of window and two cars with leeds fans in tried to ram me, only problem was I was in a Cortina car which was 7 years old and I didn't give a fuck about it and nearly had one of the leeds cars into the side of the m62. both backed off. but apart from that, never had probs with going to leeds, helps that I'm from donny

don't know where you got that from as I was in the lowfields side with the rest of the city fans and we was let out of the same time, I was going out and a bout 15 leeds fans came throu the gate, 1 lad was giving it the big I am and turned round to see his mates all running away and him on his own. and as I walked out of the ground there was utd fans one side of the road near the chippy and city fans the other side, then a few buses went by and then objects was thrown over the busses to us, then when busses moved on it kicked off. remembered walking to car/ bus park and there was about 50 leeds fans in the rugby grond[ hunslet rugby ] and loads of city went in after them and only city came out. back on M62 going towards the A1 and had my scarf out of window and two cars with leeds fans in tried to ram me, only problem was I was in a Cortina car which was 7 years old and I didn't give a fuck about it and nearly had one of the leeds cars into the side of the m62. both backed off. but apart from that, never had probs with going to leeds, helps that I'm from donny

Defo out at the same time for the cup game,my Dad wanted to leave when the trouble started but I said no im staying as had been there for the 2-0 game PB mentions and I wanted revenge.

Memories get blurred,I though the 2 - 2 game when Willie equalised was 72 but when I looked it up it was 75....that game was scary as not as many Blues at that one as were there for the cup game.

Went to Chelsea towards the end of the 67/8 season with my brother's mate. I'd just turned 18, so I was the "grown up". It was a Wednesday night match, and I'd never been there before. We went in, to find out out we were in the Shed!
Surprisingly, we didn't get battered for our mistake. A copper took pity on us and took us to where the City fans were. A very lucky escape.

In the early 70s, in the Boothen End at Stoke, there was a bit of trouble (for a change), and a lad just in front of me got hit in the face by a light bulb - made a right mess.

Most grounds in those days had their moments. Fortunately, I could run fast then, discretion being the better part of valour, and all that, and kept out of trouble.

1980 but including it....anyone at Boro,City 0-2 up then Boro equalised last minute through Bosco Jankovic RIP,about 50 - 100 City fans in the away end.....absolute carnage outside,worse than anything seen before.

Went to Chelsea towards the end of the 67/8 season with my brother's mate. I'd just turned 18, so I was the "grown up". It was a Wednesday night match, and I'd never been there before. We went in, to find out out we were in the Shed!
Surprisingly, we didn't get battered for our mistake. A copper took pity on us and took us to where the City fans were. A very lucky escape.

In the early 70s, in the Boothen End at Stoke, there was a bit of trouble (for a change), and a lad just in front of me got hit in the face by a light bulb - made a right mess.

Most grounds in those days had their moments. Fortunately, I could run fast then, discretion being the better part of valour, and all that, and kept out of trouble.
We took the boothen end that day then at five to three their older lads, men came in it went fucking mental

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.