8 | Mateo Kovacic - 2023/24

He should play in all the big games we have left. It starts with Newcastle and Arsenal and also in the next stages of the Champions League. We need control in the center and he, together with Rodri, does it excellently. This could be the decision that will change our season and bring us titles, like the changes we made last year with the 4 CB.

Came on and saved the game against the Dippers , we regained control and he has a great understanding with Rodri , he isnt going to rip opponents apart but he is tenacious and keeps the ball a very underrated player by a few on here ,we were never going to replace Gundo for £25m but he is well worth that fee a steady player who can calm games down , a great signing

I just don't get it, remember the Spurs game in the cup ? he was superb and I thought he played better than Rodri yet he's had one league start since against Bournemouth, why ?

Amazed he was not brought on sooner, never mind starting, made a huge difference when he was on the pitch.

In saying that, Rodri apart , our midfield is so weak, no energy, no pace and predictable.

The introduction of Kovacic enabled us to get a foothold in the game and I think Pep should have selected him from the start. He makes us more solid and he needs to play against Arsenal.

I feel like the only reason we're not seeing more of him is because of the goal threat Gundo had in comparison. It feels like it should be a straight swap where Kovacic replaces Gundogan in what we played last season. Eddie, Walker/Akanji, Stones, Dias, Ake, Rodri, Kova, Bernie, De Bruyne, Foden, Haaland.

But the system was Stones-Rodri with a front four of Bernie-Gundo-De Bruyne-Grealish behind Haaland. Kovacic doesn't work in that role and Pep clearly doesn't want to push Rodri too far forwards too often because of his control of the game.

I think the main issue we have is the discipline with Grealish on the left, which we don't have if anyone else plays there. Foden's more inclined to get into goal scoring positions. De Bruyne likes playing the inside right channel and if we lose the ball it's often leaving us exposed on the left hand side - not the case when Grealish holds his position.

Grealish could just be the key to this season...

Played wonderfully well this evening. Has that sixth sense of knowing where the space is and just gravitates into it to receive the pass to relieve his teammate. Reminds me increasingly of Gundogan, minus the goal threat. What he does have that is unique to him is an ability to suck 3-4 opponent players towards him and then release others, either by passing or surging away.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.