9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

View attachment 115006

This is what we see most of the time, we can’t blame players for not getting the ball to him, he needs to be able to do more in the build up than just wait for it to happen
But from all evidence he hasn’t got the ball control to be involved in the build up and more often than not he loses the ball

Doesn’t suit us
If opposing teams are going to use the very low block tactic against us, I don't expect him to score more than 0.5 goals per game in those games. When his form is not that good and confidence is dire, like now; it is going to be even worse.

He needs to annoy defences more and be more aggressive in general. Standing still assessing his next planned move, pressing wholeheartedly or not that much. Dragging defenders all over the place and trying to be unpredictable. Much more on/off knowing he would only feed on scraps. All this and probably more small improvements are all good and well in theory, but to adjust to that in the middle of your second season with City when the games are coming thick and fast. Not very doable. Alvarez is struggeling just as much when facing top teams in a low block formation.

View attachment 115006

This is what we see most of the time, we can’t blame players for not getting the ball to him, he needs to be able to do more in the build up than just wait for it to happen
But from all evidence he hasn’t got the ball control to be involved in the build up and more often than not he loses the ball

Doesn’t suit us

I can’t get my head around anyone who thinks Haaland doesn’t suit us.

He literally broke the scoring records last season, won numerous individual awards and fired us to a treble.

Even this season, he’s got 31 goals in all competitions. I’m pretty sure Aguero’s best ever scoring season for us was 33 in a season.

I do think Haaland’s level has dropped from last season, more to do with his wastefulness in front of goal than a style of play issue. He could easily have an extra 10 goals on his tally with the absolute sitters he’s missed this season. With his form last season you’d have expected him to convert his chance against Real and Arsenal at home.

Of course, this side could get more out of him. But it could also get more out of Grealish, Doku, Foden and Alvarez. The only two players this team is built around is Rodri and KDB.

It’s scary to think that Haaland is getting these sort of numbers and he’s nowhere near his peak with us.

So what was our style of play last season when we won the treble and Haaland was top scorer in both Premier League/Champions League? Did he fit the style then? Just because we lost and he’s been poor in some games doesn’t mean we rip everything up and revert to something else. We’ve invested in Haaland and we’ll make it work.
Actually, I wanted to talk about this, because I think it is important. Think about Haaland's performance in periods of 6 months. If you ask anyone that watches us consistently, I think most of us would agree that his best period was the first 6 months. Even more, if you ask me to rate him every 6 months, it would be: 10/10 first 6 months, 8.5-9/10 last 6 months of the last season, 8/10 the first 6 months of this season, 6-6.5/10 the last 3 months. And I don't think I am alone in this, and this is a huge worry of mine and why I think we have a problem.

People just throw numbers and goals, but trends are way more important. His first 6 months with us should've been the worst. It's now 18 months where I think he has slowly, but steadily decrease his performances with us. And although a good period of that time he was still incredibly good, he was still not improving. 18 months is a long time, and that tells you only one story: he hasn't adapted to us and we haven't been able to adapt to him, while other teams figured out extremely low blocks and a man marking him makes him inconsequential.

This reminds me a lot of Sterling. People brought his numbers from 19/20 constantly to argue that he would get back his level in 20/21, but he never did. And his 21/22 was even worse. He steadily declined, because we changed our playstyle, and he wasn't able to adapt to it. I have nothing against Haaland, he seems lovely, but I strongly feel that this is the level he will have next season, and that's why I think it might be a wise move to sell him.

It's not his fault, but he is not our striker and he hasn't shown the ability to adapt to us and to adapt to the way other teams mark him after he became a known quantity.

View attachment 115006

Doesn’t suit us
In this case as we don’t seem to cross high until he’s gone off the pitch, why doesn’t he come out the area, then there is a problem for the opposition, who comes out to mark him? Do the centre halves pass him on, do they go with him, then gaps could appear where he was allowing the ball to be passed more, if it comes out the box to Haaland let him have shot or un at players into the middle, see if he gets a foul. In this photo he will be almost static and header will get very little power on it and he will be stretching to get height and get up and down.
I don’t think we will or want to sell him, if Pep was not to extend who says the next manager doesn’t completely change our style to make the best use of him, having fast paced wingers, we already have Doku, or overlapping full backs. I think a lot depends on Pep extending and how he fairs next season, if. pep decides he wants a nother few years and Haaland carries on dropping off due to he can’t adapt, then they may well cash in on him.

View attachment 115006

Doesn’t suit us
That photo speaks volumes . A crowded box and a static target . I find it very concerning that surely Pep and his staff must look at photos like this and see how are slug like build up play results in this but don't come up with a solution. Then again we fire every corner at the goalkeeper without any result and no doubt will bewilderingly continue with this stupid ploy.

View attachment 115006

Doesn’t suit us
If you buy the best striker in the world, who sits on the shoulder of the last defender constantly, is fucking insane over 5 yards, strong as an ox and is a deadly finisher - maybe play the ball through the lines just a couple of times more often than we do? Just as idea.

He's closer to an Andy Carroll than he is to a Sergio Aguero.
Couldn't fault him last season but it's not taken others long to work him out.
That just wouldn't be the case, with Sergio. Yes teams had him at times but more often than not he'd fucking drag them all over the gaff.
Absolute nonsense. He's 23. Hes already got 83 goals in less than 2 seasons. It's just under a third of Agueros total already. Its fucking maddening this shit. We're numpties. Honestly, we get THE best striker in the world and we think he's shit. Everyone is entitled to their opinion i suppose, but my fucking god what a stupid opinion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.