A case for the defence

Bentheblue

The stats for the games played in all competitions in 2016 look quite good:

Total number of games 9
Aways 6
Homes 3
Clean sheets 5
Goals conceded 6

The stats surprised me as I always think we look likely to concede every time the opposition attack and at Sunderland we survived one or two hairy moments.

Perhaps the defence is not as bad as we fans and pundits make out, especially as two thirds of the games have been away from home and cleans sheets have been kept in over half the games.

No coincidence Fernando returned from injury around the same time. he's the key, he covers so much ground, his positioning is superb and covers the gaping holes Otamendi often leaves.

Glad to hear someone say that about Fernando. It surprises me the stick he gets from some folk but he really does put in some excellent blocks,tackles and interceptions. Not always the greatest on the ball but very good at the main part he is out there for.

Glad to hear someone say that about Fernando. It surprises me the stick he gets from some folk but he really does put in some excellent blocks,tackles and interceptions. Not always the greatest on the ball but very good at the main part he is out there for.

He'll never get the credit he deserves on here because his work and his role isn't something that's easy to spot, especially on tv and isn't as obvious as say a goal/save/last gasp tackle etc. The match going fans tend to notice it though thankfully, i've often heard him rightly praised coming out of games in recent weeks.

I've always thought he does what a defensive midfielder is meant to do . Protects the back four and covers the ground very under rated.

I always thought Fernando and Navas were the keys to our run in and Navas going down is a huge blow.

Sterling has to step up now until Navas and KDB can regain full fitness.

We are down to the bear bones , 2 short in central defence , 4 short in midfield ( hopefully Delph is fine for Saturday ) and 1 up front.

Cannot afford any more injuries.

Its the main issue we have to look as these soft tissue injuries are just too frequent for it to be down to bad luck.

Nice to hear Fernando getting some praise, the last couple of times I've been at home games I've had some loudmouth behind me moaning about him throughout the whole game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.