A few thoughts on yesterday

Mancio said:
Mad Mario said:
I think we should have been ready for the title. We have got a core of players in hart, toure, zab, Micah, Ndj, kompany, tevez, Aj, Bellamy l, ade, swp who know the prem and eachother inside out.
We have the quality and the players who know eachother, there was no excuse for not going for the title

you think bad.

to be honest you are a very poor thinking man when it go on football. you seem to lack the basis.
You are without doubt the worst poster on here mancio!! This pathetic obsession you have with bobby is slightly disturbing tbh. I'm sure I saw you slagging mouriniho off on here the coach who last year led your team to it's 1st European cup in donkeys years!!!I've no doubt your a decent fella but how much of city do you watch to be able to contribute an informed opinion??

warringtonmcfc said:
Having had time to calm down a bit, a few thoughts on yesterday:-

1) I genuinely don't think that those players went out and thought they could win that game yesterday. Not enough belief, on the whole not enough experience of winning big games. Not enough players who went in to the game thinking a draw is not good enough. Not enough winners.
This is a completely subjective opinion. There isn't a professional sportsman alive who doesn't go out to win no matter the sport or opponent.
2) Sick to death of hearing that we're "not far away" from being better than them. We may end up closer in terms of points when the final analysis is done but our recent record in head to heads against them is awful. Generally the teams that beat United to the title beat them in the head to heads during the season.
I haven't heard anyone saying we're not far away from being better than them. They have won the prem how many times? Of course we are no where near being better than them. We are however able to honestly compete with them as the last 4 derbies have demonstrated. Competing is what we can expect. The notion that we will be "better" is not realistic in the short term.
3) Our lack of a proper left back is becoming more and more of a problem. Zabaleta is a good right back but at left back against proper quality he struggles.
Our left back is playing left wing due to injury to AJ and Mario. It's disingenuous to write AK off as a left back when he's hardly played there at full fitness.
4) We don't test opposition keepers enough in games against the big teams. At times we resemble a poor mans Arsenal - plenty of nice play up until the edge of the box but no end product in terms of making keepers save the thing.
Agreed
5) Our build up play looks slow and laboured at times. This is partly a product of having Barry and Milner in midfield. They just aren't good enough for a team that is aiming for the Champions League.
We try to counter but there is a clear tactic that if a final ball isn't available we don't throw away possession. This makes the build up play look slow "at times" at other times we break with speed and score.
6) Kompany was outstanding yesterday as he has been for most of the season. He is the leader of the side. Recognise that with the armband. We need to get another centre half in to play along side him.
I thought he should have been made skipper when Carlos threw his strop. I think letting Carlos keep the armband was a big mistake.
7) The midfield and attack that started yesterday had a distinct lack of pace. This needs to be sorted out and in part links to 5) above.
Milner/Silva/Yaya all have more than enough pace. We do lack a flying winger though.
8) Why are we so appalling at coming from behind to win games? Lack of bottle / leaders? When we go a goal down away from home I certainly think that we are playing for a point at best and I suspect in games like yesterday some of the players do as well.
Opinion. I don't think we play for a point after going a goal down. I think we try to win but lack the killer finishing that other teams who have played together longer sometimes posses.
9) We are going to look back on this season as our big chance and ultiamtely one that we have blown. United, Chelsea and Liverpool will all be stronger next season. Okay, I am sure we will be too but I just think that this was the season.
We will also be stronger. This season was never going to be the year we win the prem. But even after today the team will not stop trying to win games. Only the fans think in those terms. 3 games from now it could be all change again.
Anyway, sure I will get slated for a lot of the above but had to get it off my chest! Plenty will be more optimistic but I just get tired of hearing that we are close, nearly there. The table shows that if the teams around us win their games in hand we are down to 5th which doesn't feel like a massive amount of progress to me.

Why the concern about being slated? You have offered your opinions in a fair minded way. I still think we are favourite for 3rd spot and think we will reach a final too.

Mad Mario said:
Oh and whilst I'm still wound up, how was the stream you used to watch the game on yesterday? Mr city? Whilst us glorysupporters were Actualy there.

You gloryhunting Italian ****.

woah there!!! chill down ffs.

howfen blue said:
Mancio said:
you think bad.

to be honest you are a very poor thinking man when it go on football. you seem to lack the basis.
You are without doubt the worst poster on here mancio!! This pathetic obsession you have with bobby is slightly disturbing tbh. I'm sure I saw you slagging mouriniho off on here the coach who last year led your team to it's 1st European cup in donkeys years!!!I've no doubt your a decent fella but how much of city do you watch to be able to contribute an informed opinion??

nothing. I never saw anything. indeed do me a favor. Can you summarize what has happened so far in the season?

I thought we were good yesterday right from the start. Silva should have scored,
you don't see many goals like Shrek's, just unlucky for us

Blue Mooner said:
warringtonmcfc said:

1) I genuinely don't think that those players went out and thought they could win that game yesterday. Not enough belief, on the whole not enough experience of winning big games. Not enough players who went in to the game thinking a draw is not good enough. Not enough winners.

2) Sick to death of hearing that we're "not far away" from being better than them. We may end up closer in terms of points when the final analysis is done but our recent record in head to heads against them is awful. Generally the teams that beat United to the title beat them in the head to heads during the season.

3) Our lack of a proper left back is becoming more and more of a problem. Zabaleta is a good right back but at left back against proper quality he struggles.

4) We don't test opposition keepers enough in games against the big teams. At times we resemble a poor mans Arsenal - plenty of nice play up until the edge of the box but no end product in terms of making keepers save the thing.

5) Our build up play looks slow and laboured at times. This is partly a product of having Barry and Milner in midfield. They just aren't good enough for a team that is aiming for the Champions League.

6) Kompany was outstanding yesterday as he has been for most of the season. He is the leader of the side. Recognise that with the armband. We need to get another centre half in to play along side him.

7) The midfield and attack that started yesterday had a distinct lack of pace. This needs to be sorted out and in part links to 5) above.

8) Why are we so appalling at coming from behind to win games? Lack of bottle / leaders? When we go a goal down away from home I certainly think that we are playing for a point at best and I suspect in games like yesterday some of the players do as well.

9) We are going to look back on this season as our big chance and ultiamtely one that we have blown. United, Chelsea and Liverpool will all be stronger next season. Okay, I am sure we will be too but I just think that this was the season.

Anyway, sure I will get slated for a lot of the above but had to get it off my chest! Plenty will be more optimistic but I just get tired of hearing that we are close, nearly there. The table shows that if the teams around us win their games in hand we are down to 5th which doesn't feel like a massive amount of progress to me.

SIck of hearing we're 'not that far away' !! F*ck me, we're only two years into a total rebuild of the whole squad. You think you just spend a load of money and then we should be ripping a team like the rags to shreds !?

I'm sick of hearing about Kolarovs lack if pace, sure he's no Walcott or Micah Richards but I guarantee he's no slower than Zabaleta. Kolarov has quality in abundance, is comfortable on the ball and has as sweet a left foot as you are likely to see. I don't see the left back spot as one that is an immediate priority.

Anyone could see that we more than matched the rags and if anything were the better team it was one piece of magic that seperated the teams and the rags created nothing else of note.

I'm extremely comfortable with how we are developing - particularly as for a lot of these players it is their first season in a totally different league.

A lot of City fans would have had Evra binned off after his woeful debut against us and Nani would have been sold or written off long ago.

They say patience is a virtue and its something that City fans could well do with learning. In the space of two short years you could say we have surpassed Chelsea at this point in the season. Who could have foreseen that two years ago ?

A post further down even suggests we have mid-table away from !! Wtf ! Last time I looked we had the best away record in the prem ! Again, who else could have foreseen us being the best team playing away from home ? Sort our home form out and we would have been challenging for the title.

Depsite the result I was extremely encouraged by the way we controlled large parts of the game and that told me just how far we have come. Blue Army.

Blue Mooner - hear what you're saying. To be clear, I think we still are quite a long way away for the very reason that you outline above. That's why I am sick of hearing that we are close. I don't think we are at the moment because that takes time. So let's stop saying we are close to having a title winning side. We aren't.

My concern around Kolarov is not his lack of pace at left back more his defensive prowess from what I have seen. Wingers seem to get behind him a bit too easily. Because he isn't super quick he can't use that as his get out of jail card. Again, I think he will be better next season than this given his injuries, getting used to the Prem etc etc.

We are definitely moving on forward but I think that a reality check is required for some. United are still a better side than us. End of. We need to accept that, move on. The league table shows that, the fact they have four points from six against us shows that. Ditto Arsenal.

Gelsons Dad said:
warringtonmcfc said:

This is a completely subjective opinion. There isn't a professional sportsman alive who doesn't go out to win no matter the sport or opponent.
I haven't heard anyone saying we're not far away from being better than them. They have won the prem how many times? Of course we are no where near being better than them. We are however able to honestly compete with them as the last 4 derbies have demonstrated. Competing is what we can expect. The notion that we will be "better" is not realistic in the short term.
Our left back is playing left wing due to injury to AJ and Mario. It's disingenuous to write AK off as a left back when he's hardly played there at full fitness.
Agreed
We try to counter but there is a clear tactic that if a final ball isn't available we don't throw away possession. This makes the build up play look slow "at times" at other times we break with speed and score.
I thought he should have been made skipper when Carlos threw his strop. I think letting Carlos keep the armband was a big mistake.
Milner/Silva/Yaya all have more than enough pace. We do lack a flying winger though.
Opinion. I don't think we play for a point after going a goal down. I think we try to win but lack the killer finishing that other teams who have played together longer sometimes posses.
We will also be stronger. This season was never going to be the year we win the prem. But even after today the team will not stop trying to win games. Only the fans think in those terms. 3 games from now it could be all change again.

Why the concern about being slated? You have offered your opinions in a fair minded way. I still think we are favourite for 3rd spot and think we will reach a final too.

Gelson - good points well made.

The only one I would quibble with is that there are a heck of a lot of people who say we aren't far away and who think we are actually a better side than United (or a midges away from being so).

Re my first point, I don't for a moment think that there is any player that doesn't go out to win. It's whether they really believe that they can. At any level you play to win but certain sides have a fear factor for you and you don't genuinely believe you can beat them. I think United are still firmly in that category when the games are at Old Trafford.

Best post i've read re: yesterday. Wholeheartedly agree im sick off the 'we are not far off mentality.' Also agree we dont have any belief when we play in the big games, only kompany yesterday and richards truly looked like they relished that game and the challenges.

Ok as a UTD fan I would argue the only thing lacking is experience of winning pivotal game like that and I dont mean individual players I mean as a unit that shared experience goes a long way, you played well no argument there but then we didnt play badly, the difference is tiny and on another day who knows. The serious stuff begins next season, if you get 4th the transfer market hits a whole new level where you can build on what you have by dining at the top table in that players will sign for a club in the CL.

We wheren't lucky we've been here so many times and your strength pushes us on. see you next year.

mattbw7 said:
Ok as a UTD fan I would argue the only thing lacking is experience of winning pivotal game like that and I dont mean individual players I mean as a unit that shared experience goes a long way, you played well no argument there but then we didnt play badly, the difference is tiny and on another day who knows. The serious stuff begins next season, if you get 4th the transfer market hits a whole new level where you can build on what you have by dining at the top table in that players will sign for a club in the CL.

We wheren't lucky we've been here so many times and your strength pushes us on. see you next year.

Missing you already...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.