ACL injuries in the Women's game

JRockBlues

Near where the "Welcome to Manchester" sign was
ACL injuries really becoming a problem in the women's game. A 5th player injured for Arsenal now as Teyah Goldie joins Laura Wienroither, Beth Mead, Vivianne Miedema and Leah Williamson on that unwanted list. Is it all just down to physiology, training methods or something else or even a combination of elements that's causing so many?

"Female footballers are up to six times more likely to suffer an ACL injury than their male counterparts" according to some investigations so looks like more research is necessary.

It's obviously multifaceted and clearly very concerning but this article contains some theories why women suffer a higher number of knee injuries than their male equivalents.

However, the article does not even mention things like football boot design, length of matches and so forth which might also be contributory factors.

Physiology seems to be the biggest contributing factor with women’s hips and pelvis, designed by nature for childbirth meaning the angle of the thigh where it meets the knee leaves women with far less strength than the men.

Physiology seems to be the biggest contributing factor with women’s hips and pelvis, designed by nature for childbirth meaning the angle of the thigh where it meets the knee leaves women with far less strength than the men.
Perhaps they require more hip thrusting / strengthening exercises

Counterpressed - ACL episode

Counterpressed podcast did a full episode on it which was really interesting. Theories around physiology and hormones are covered although the doctor on this episode warns of the dangers of simply putting it down to that when there are lots of other external factors which could be playing a part.

They don't seem to have enough muscle on their legs around the knee area or even thigh muscles, I'm not saying they have fat legs or anything but they have no muscle definition at all, I'm also no physiotherapist or sports trainer but I have to think this can't help in protecting the knee.

I also see that Weir has now got an ACL injury, at 28yo that will be tough.

has it got something to do with early development, young lads go to clubs as young as 6, and train,nowadays im sure girls do as well, maybe the female players who are playing today didn't have the opportunity to train from an early age to withstand the rigours of football.

They don't seem to have enough muscle on their legs around the knee area or even thigh muscles, I'm not saying they have fat legs or anything but they have no muscle definition at all, I'm also no physiotherapist or sports trainer but I have to think this can't help in protecting the knee.

I also see that Weir has now got an ACL injury, at 28yo that will be tough.

Not sure it'll be that, though it could contribute. If it was just that lots of male amateur players would be having the same problem!

Theres lots of talk of contributory factors, including the menstrual cycle (all I know is a link is mentioned, I've no idea how).

I think it could be more to do with wide hips/shorter legs than male counterparts, resulting in pressure to the knee coming at some strange angles.

It is very strange though - and very concerning considering how.many young girls are taking up the game these days.

Not sure it'll be that, though it could contribute. If it was just that lots of male amateur players would be having the same problem!

Theres lots of talk of contributory factors, including the menstrual cycle (all I know is a link is mentioned, I've no idea how).

I think it could be more to do with wide hips/shorter legs than male counterparts, resulting in pressure to the knee coming at some strange angles.

It is very strange though - and very concerning considering how.many young girls are taking up the game these days.
It is just something I noticed when watching the games, 99% of them have no muscle definition on their thighs down to their knee, it just seems odd for athletes that are training harder than I ever trained and I have Jack Grealish-sized calf muscles and thigh muscles to match, too big in all honesty but shame about the belly lol

Hips to knee ratio sounds plausible but how a menstrual cycle would mean anything to knee injuries is beyond me lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.