Addiction/Depedancy

bobmcfc said:
The luck always runs out billy and it's just a void left behind for those that have to go on. Heroin is evil stuff and it doesn't let go till its finished you for good
Not for all. I lived with a junkie in London for a while, so many times I would come home from work and see him in an awful state with no money for a fix. I would give him the money for one. When I said goodbye to him in London to come back home to Dublin, I really thought we would never speak again as I thought the heroin would get him. Today if you google his name, it appears with a load of letters after it. He has wrote and had published a couple of novels and is one of the top addictions counselors in the Nelson Trust in the UK and travels the world giving lectures and helping people with addictions. He actually couldn't return to Dublin for years as he had outstanding warrants for breaking into chemists and stealing drugs when he was in his teens. When I struggled to get a ticket for the Cup Final a couple of season's ago, He got me one just beside the Royal Box. Things can change for people with support and self help. As an earlier poster said its the complexity of being human that makes it difficult I guess.

SkyBlueFlux said:
This thread has been very enlightening in a lot of ways. There seem to be people out there who due to a combination of personality and circumstance can find themselves dragged into an addiction that they never would have thought themselves capable of. A lot of the time there seems to be a certain amount of denial there, though.

I suspect my step-mum is an alcoholic, but she denies it vehemently. She functions throughout the working day, but there will be times when I've caught her drinking on her own and out of concealed cans of coke. She drinks with my dad a lot on their days off, and there's nothing wrong with that but they've always seemed like 'drinking buddies' to me more than man and wife. Which is quite an upsetting state of affairs to be honest. We have confronted her about it, but she blames a lot of the side effects we point out (such as memory loss) on the menopause, which y'know, could very well be true but it's difficult to pin her down because we have no solid evidence of exactly how much she's drinking. We say we want to help but she really doesn't think she needs it. She's quite an intelligent woman by all means, but I notice so much strange behaviour coming from her I can't help but worry.

Being a step-son though, not even directly related, makes it difficult for me to assert anything because there are other people before me (my dad for one) who should be bringing up the elephant in the room but they're not. That gives her some kind of justification as my words only carry weight if they're backed up by the people closest too her. Talking out of turn comes to mind.

As for myself, I'm in the same boat as a few others on this thread, I drink socially but I really do it out of convention rather than desire. I could quite easily wake up tomorrow and decide to be teetotal, I only drink every other week so it would probably just save me money in the long run.

Interesting what you say about your step mum. The ex from my OP, I'm convinced her (and her sister's) alcoholism came from their mother. She was the typical suburban housewife alcoholic. When I first met them I used to find it funny. We went and stayed with her mum, and every morning breakfast would simply be something they'd do to kill time until midday. Like clockwork at midday the mother would open a bottle of wine to have a social "drop" as she liked to call it. One bottle would turn into two, three, sometimes four, and by mid afternoon the three of them would be fast asleep in the living room. Funny thing is, the dad was tea-total. He'd roll his eyes at them but never say much else.

When my ex was first hospitalised with liver problems I fully expected to receive the support of the mother in curtailing in the drinking. How wrong was I, the wine would still get opened at midday. The glasses would still be offered around and topped up. The difference was that mother would insist that two bottles was the limit. Only for me to find my ex, no word of a lie, in a bathroom downing miniatures of vodka so she didn't need to ask mum to open another bottle. Mother for her part would never question why my ex still seemed out of it by 4pm even though they wine had finished at 2.

Marajuana
Cocaine
MDMA
amongst many other drugs, are not addictive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.