AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons

I seem to remember that MK attempted to take the history of Wimbledon with them - wasn't this the case?
I think they took the FA Cup replica (do all clubs get one when they win it?) and other smaller trophies, because as part of the deal of relocating that had to maintain some ties to the old Wimbledon (hence the 'Dons' part of their name). So I recall that rather than them 'taking' it, it was part of the arrangement (which may have been with the Football League, I can't remember exactly). Once AFC formed, they gave the trophy back to them. I think it would be best for everyone if MK just dropped the Dons bit entirely.

I could ask the guy I know who worked for Wimbledon during the move. He doesn't work for MK Dons anymore but I'm connected to him on LinkedIn and he might know about this and other things. From what I can recall he either wasn't a football fan or he supported a different team (either way I'm pretty sure he wasn't a Wimbledon fan), hence why I guess he took a more objective view on the whole thing.

I seem to remember that MK attempted to take the history of Wimbledon with them - wasn't this the case?
I was involved with the FSF when this was happening and the FSF 'brokered' the deal between the two clubs, or were part of a team that did the deal (maybe the FA was involved too).
It was prolonged and as one observant said 'It was probably harder than solving the Middle East crisis''!
One of the problems was a meeting would take place, each side reported back to fans / members and then a war of words would break out via messageboards between the two sets of fans and the whole thing went back 2 steps....

In the end, MK agreed to hand back the Wimbledon FC domain name to AFCW and agreed not use Wimbledon's history as being part of MK's history.
The replica FA Cup that the original team won was also a sticking point. Both sides claimed the other had not won it...... so it was agreed to be given to Merton Borough Council (where the district of Wimbledon is) to be put on public display which it was in the library.
In return AFCW agreed to call off the fans boycott at MK.

Last edited:
I was involved with the FSF when this was happening and the FSF 'brokered' the deal between the two clubs, or where part of a team that did the deal.
It was prolonged and as one observant said 'It was probably harder than solving the Middle East crisis!
One of the problems was a meeting would take place,. each side reported back to fans / members and then a war of words would break out via messageboards between to two sets of fans and the whole thing went back 2 steps....

In the end, MK agreed to hand back the Wimbledon FC domain name to AFCW and would not use Wimbledon's history as being part of MK's history.
The replica FA Cup that the original team won was also a sticking point. Both sides claimed the other had not won it...... so it was agreed to be given to Merton Borough Council (where the district of Wimbledon is) to be put on public display which is was in the library.
What was the deal with the 'Dons' part of the name? Was that part of the agreement or was it something Winkleman did to soften the blow, so to speak?

I'm not sure, they were called that from the beginning of MK I think. I presume it was to keep the original team alive..... like the Brooklyn Dodgers becoming the LA Dodgers!
As far as I can recall, the continued use of the name 'Dons' wasn't a particular issue or sticking point.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.