Airbnb.

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
Just read this article from a cleaning contractor of Airbnb, puts me right off using the dirty bastards ever again. I'm sure they're not all like this but how do you know ?

'The day before we were supposed to send one of our teams in, we got an email from the management company,' Shipway shared.

'In this email, they informed us that they have a procedure they'd like us to follow in order to save money on turnover times.’

‘The more I read this email, the more horrified I became.'

According to Shipway, the 'unsettling' and 'gross' requests came from an unnamed firm that manages numerous Airbnb properties

Every second clean... they just wanted us to take the linen off, flip it around so that the top was now at the bottom in order to make it look like they were cleaner,' he added.

'They also said they'd supply us with a little spray bottle that we could spray on the sheets to make them less crinkly, to appear like they hadn't been used by the previous guests.'

Similarly, towels that previous guests might have re-used were expected to be neatly folded back as if freshly laundered. The same plain-view concept of cleanliness extended to dishes, too.

'They told us towels that don't look dirty can be put back on the beds and in the cupboards.'

Now they are gonna get taxed I would expect some who rent out won't see the worth in it

Not suprised that someone with more than one property they rent on Airbnb is doing the above, some hotels and guest houses have shody hygiene practices so why wouldn't someome letting several properties

Last edited:
It's a real mixed bag AirBNB. You can get some excellent cost saving night's away. But on the flip side you can be stuck with a grumpy host in a dirty flat feeling like you're stepping on egg shells staying there.

Personally I think it's only good for the budget end of things when you want better than a hostel/camping but can't stretch to a hotel.

The whole you can review and be reviewed is not good imo. It can be difficult to give an honest review when you know they can be petty and give you a bad review in return even if it's not justified.

I've used them a few times and have had good experiences in each case, they were all self contained accommodation, so not had to share with the owners. Best one was in Bodrum when I went to the Champions League Final, had a 9day break, really nice gaff, everything catered for, owner was so responsive to any requests. Am going back for a week this year and will stay there again, no hesitation.
I think you just have to do your homework and read plenty of reviews instead of just the first page.

I've used them a few times and have had good experiences in each case, they were all self contained accommodation, so not had to share with the owners. Best one was in Bodrum when I went to the Champions League Final, had a 9day break, really nice gaff, everything catered for, owner was so responsive to any requests. Am going back for a week this year and will stay there again, no hesitation.
I think you just have to do your homework and read plenty of reviews instead of just the first page.

Because of their review systems not encouraging honest reviews it's basically the following compared to a normal rating:

5.0 - 10/10
4.9 - 9/10
4.8 - 8/10
4.7 - 7/10
4.3 - 3/10
4.2 - 2/10
4.1 - 1/10

Anything under a 4.7 is a big risk in AirBNB imo.

We’ve stayed in many Airbnb’s over the last ten years or so; some good, some bad. These experiences prompted us to put our spare room on airbnb, we’ve now stopped that but purchased a holiday let. We do our own cleaning and get good reviews; we like to think you get out what you put in, so work hard at it. As has been said, there’s good / bad / indifferent in all sectors, airbnb included. If anyone fancies a few nights in Llandudno, get in touch!

It's a real mixed bag AirBNB. You can get some excellent cost saving night's away. But on the flip side you can be stuck with a grumpy host in a dirty flat feeling like you're stepping on egg shells staying there.

Personally I think it's only good for the budget end of things when you want better than a hostel/camping but can't stretch to a hotel.

The whole you can review and be reviewed is not good imo. It can be difficult to give an honest review when you know they can be petty and give you a bad review in return even if it's not justified.
Who wants to stay with a host ??? Fuck that !!

The council house next door to me has been converted into one. Every weekend it's full of around 12 people. They can be loud! The missus went out at 4am one morning to tell them to "shut the fuck up". They did. They can make as much noise as they want until 11pm. That's usually when they get in from a night out, though.

Because of their review systems not encouraging honest reviews it's basically the following compared to a normal rating:

5.0 - 10/10
4.9 - 9/10
4.8 - 8/10
4.7 - 7/10
4.3 - 3/10
4.2 - 2/10
4.1 - 1/10

Anything under a 4.7 is a big risk in AirBNB imo.
For me it's more about reading the actual comments rather than just the ratings, you can glean so much more from a review this way.
Not sure what you mean by "not encouraging honest reviews". There'll always be someone who complains about the most trivial of things, serial complainers, never satisfied. Before I book anything, be it a hotel or an Airbnb I'll spend half an hour trawling through reviews, maybe that's why I've never really had a bad stay anywhere, fail to prepare.......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.