Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

It’s hard pal. I’m having a dry January and February and I nearly had a wobble tonight. Really fancied a pint in my local on my way back from the Co-Op. It was close call.

Why are you looking to stop?

When I stopped I still wanted the pub & social interaction, it was a part of who I am. I go & have he non alcoholic beer in a pint pot & get my fix.

Everytime I drink now I have 5 guinnesses or so and I can't stop, more embarrassing news tonight I'm barred from my 2 favourite locals and i haven't a clue what I've done. I go into a dream state when drinking. It's hard to describe tbh I don't drink everyday I should add that In there. Got a daughter whoes 8 months old and it's edgy with the Mrs now especially after I told her I'm barred from our locals. Just feel like a complete tit tbh.
Maybe it’s a blessing being barred. If you don’t mind me saying, but based on what you‘ve posted here and previously you don’t seem to have a positive or remotely helpful relationship with alcohol. It seems to be taking far more from you than you’re getting out of it. It might not be as straightforward as that, and stopping certainly won’t be, but maybe that should be your starting point (assuming it isn’t already).

Everytime I drink now I have 5 guinnesses or so and I can't stop, more embarrassing news tonight I'm barred from my 2 favourite locals and i haven't a clue what I've done. I go into a dream state when drinking. It's hard to describe tbh I don't drink everyday I should add that In there. Got a daughter whoes 8 months old and it's edgy with the Mrs now especially after I told her I'm barred from our locals. Just feel like a complete tit tbh.
Maybe needs simplifying for you choose booze or loose your daughter .
That's the choice I had ,not really a hard decision to make .

100 days today sober. Feel so much better and healthier. The depression has lifted and things that used to stress me out no longer do. It was, and is tough I won’t lie, but being switched back on after 40 years of heavy drinking is worth it. I find that using the mantra “one day at a time” really helps.

A warning message to all those who have come to the conclusion that quitting altogether is the only option and that seeking help is the best thing to do:

Sort out any Life Insurance renewals or extensions before you go talking to doctors about your problem.

I made my mind up that I needed help and phoned my doctor. I got serious help from her, my company, and had tests on my liver and I am now on day 860 of not drinking alcohol.

But last summer I contacted my Life Insurance company with a view to reducing my premiums as I'd paid off my mortgage. I filled in the online questionnaire and, suddenly couldn't get any cover, from any company. (They all talk to each other it seems.)

I spoke to a rep from the company and he explained that as I had been advised by a medical professional to stop drinking and that as I had (slight) liver damage, they couldn't offer me a new policy. They have to honour the existing one but that only runs for another three years.

If I go five years without drinking, (well on my way to that) then I think I can be accepted but by then I will be 67 and the premiums will be a lot higher.

So if you have any plans to tweak or start a life policy, do it before you seek help. (But don't delay getting that help!!!)

Found a recent alcohol free lager absolutely minging. I think I’ll stick to Vimto at home. Sugar free with ice cold Evian is actually very refreshing.

I think deep down you know what the answer is.

You need a change of lifestyle. Put the time you would have spent in the boozer into your family.

100 days today sober. Feel so much better and healthier. The depression has lifted and things that used to stress me out no longer do. It was, and is tough I won’t lie, but being switched back on after 40 years of heavy drinking is worth it. I find that using the mantra “one day at a time” really helps.
Well done mate ,think I'm about 12 years now ,it's still hard but it gets easier now.
I'm at the point where I can go in a pub and not even feel tempted ,one slight regret my mate has got my lad into craft beers a few at a time ,I get to sniff them :+)
I look at giving up as a new start not missing out on stuff,as an example for the pice of 4 pints £24 we went to Stockholm for the weekend :+)

I think sometimes people try to rationalise stopping or overthink on how they're going to achieve it. Used to work in substance misuse and maybe that helped me and gave me a better insight. Some people can never be moderate or social drinkers and that's a hard life change to accept. So they look at ways to continue drinking
Nor do you have to reach rock bottom ( whatever that may be) as again that is a difficult place to pick yourself up from to many. If is affecting your family life or work then I'd say it's an issue. But it's all subjective and people need different support tailored to the individual. Haven't drunk alcohol since early October for physical reasons, tried an alcohol free stout in a bar and you'd hardly tell the difference. May not be for everyone but for me there are some decent non alcohol alternatives out there

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.