Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a bigger priority in Guardiola's eyes, he made that clear at every possible moment. He could not have been more clear all through the season as to what our problem was, scoring goals. In fact, as others have pointed out, we only conceded 2 more last season than we did in 13/14, but we scored 22 fewer goals.

He also detailed plenty of times how he thought we were conceding a lot of those 39 goals because our forwards weren't killing off games when we had the chance.

And then on top of that he's buying 4 defenders and a keeper.

Precisely. And this will absolutely change this upcoming season, I am certain

It's not a bigger priority in Guardiola's eyes, he made that clear at every possible moment. He could not have been more clear all through the season as to what our problem was, scoring goals. In fact, as others have pointed out, we only conceded 2 more last season than we did in 13/14, but we scored 22 fewer goals.

He also detailed plenty of times how he thought we were conceding a lot of those 39 goals because our forwards weren't killing off games when we had the chance.

While I fully agree that 4 full backs and a keeper will improve the back line surely it's his job to coach (what he's paid for) our almost world class front line to improve finishing but the point still stands that apart from Vinny our central defenders that we currently have are not good enough as a group.

He did indeed concentrate his criticism on the forward line. But we now have Jesus and B. Silva and will probably sign full backs who can cross the half-way line.

Three central defenders in Kompany, Ota and Stones would be asking for trouble. It's such a key position

He also has Jesus, who he didn't have for most of last season.

Pep actually made it clear it is a priority. It's the only position I can actually think of, that he definitely said we need cover for.

No, he said we needed to have cover for Vinny. That's not "making CB a priority", and if it were, we'd not be in a situation where the ITK's and journalists close to the club are all insistent hat a CB isn't a priority.

However when asked what the one thing we needed to do better on next season, he said..."Score more goals".

He did indeed concentrate his criticism on the forward line. But we now have Jesus and B. Silva and will probably sign full backs who can cross the half-way line.

Three central defenders in Kompany, Ota and Stones would be asking for trouble. It's such a key position

But we don't have 3 central defenders. We have 4, because Guardiola obviously rates Kolarov, and we could even see someone like Fernandinho dropping in there.

Right.

It was vintage Kompany against Palace - even getting on the score sheet for the second time in four appearances.

But Guardiola admits there remain serious doubts about his ability to last an entire campaign.

“I think when he is in that form there is no doubt,” said the City manager. “But we have to cover our backs.

“We cannot give all our confidence he will be fit because of what we have experienced the last few years. We have to have back ups if something happens.”

I guess someone will now tell me he didn't mean it & it's actually in code, like when Aguero says he isn't leaving.

While I fully agree that 4 full backs and a keeper will improve the back line surely it's his job to coach (what he's paid for) our almost world class front line to improve finishing but the point still stands that apart from Vinny our central defenders that we currently have are not good enough as a group.
Aguero has started to struggle. That's not something coaching will solve. Jesus pace added goals to City, and B. Silva plus overlapping full backs will help too.

That's an awful argument. You could just as easily reverse it and say "surely it's his job to coach our £40m+ centre backs to improve their defending"?

But we don't have 3 central defenders. We have 4, because Guardiola obviously rates Kolarov, and we could even see someone like Fernandinho dropping in there.
Our target is the CL.

Could you honestly see Fernandinho or Kolarov playing in the middle in the final?

Just in case:

“I’m pretty sure Manuel Pellegrini missed him a lot the last two seasons - and of course we missed him.

“He is a real central defender.

“I said many times - central defenders, ‘How many duels do you win with the striker?’

“‘More than the other one? You are a central defender.’

“And he wins.

“You to feel it. When the opponent crosses the ball ‘Wow, it’s Vinny there.’

“Maybe you know they are going to score a goal. With Vinny against Arsenal they scored a goal in the six-yard box. Okay that can happen.

“But you have the feeling when they cross or you cross with a corner or a free kick you are there.

“That feeling - especially in this league when there are a lot of long balls - it is a really important thing.

“In other leagues it does not happen. It’s important to have people to win duels in the air.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.