"Another Face in the Crowd"

Ric

Administrator
New article by David Mooney on the blog now:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Blog/index.php/2013/04/18/another-face-in-the-crowd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Blog/ind ... the-crowd/</a>

Thats a brilliant and thought provoking arguement and one of the best Blogs we have had on here for some time.

Well done David.

Fantastic read. Well written, thought-provoking and witty. Most importantly it's so truthful without being judgemental of footie fans. The writer is absolutely right that football fans act differently in the stands, which ultimately is wrong, but he's captured a real sense of human behaviour in that we often fall into a pack mentality, which a lot of journos seem to be scared to acknowledge whenever they report on contentious incidents, such as racism. He's hit the nail on the head in terms of what people stand up against in the stands. If someone shouted homophobic or racist comments to someone in a bar, 9 times out of 10 I would speak out. Honestly, at a football match, I'm not sure what I would do. It reminds me of a time at Arsenal away about three years ago when I was sat next to a sikh. A few rows in front of me some pissed up city fans were singing, 'your just a town full of pakis, town full of pakis.' Now before you point out Pakistan only has a small number of sikhs living there, the fact is the guy next to me was clearly in a racial minority, and while the pissed up idiots in front of me annoyed me, I turned and I could see a real look of disgust in his eyes. It made me so sad, because I wanted to shout out, 'shut the fuck up you pricks', but honestly I didn't have the bottle. I was on my own and I knew it would be more trouble than it's worth. But what the writer captures brilliantly is that fear we all get in crowds. What if no one backs me up. But then if no one stands up when does it ever stop?

The pack mentality is a valid point. How many times have we heard the singing section belt out 'who's the faggot in the pink' without them really thinking about it's deeper meaning?

I'm sure many of those singing it would not consider themselves homophobic at all, but it's a good laugh for them at the time.

Very good read. Also makes me think and realise I have a way to go.

I have friends of various races and gay people and believe I treat them the same as 'normal' (according to society) people.

I would never join a chant that was either racist or homophobic.

I would never shout a racist slur yet I am sure at some point I have muttered what is effectively a homophobic comment - probably directed at Nasri when he won't get 'stuck in'.

In my head I don't mean it to be offensive to gay people but appreciate that it is.

Now, how to educate myself first?

Good read mate, that last paragraph had me in stitches, of course you are right, and will always hold the moral high-ground on this one.

What I found interesting though was that you disliked the term/act called 'banter', seems to be a common theme amongst the gay men I know (and have known) and yes I know how that sounds lol, not saying it isn't there in particular relationships/circles of friends etc, it is, but the 'rules' for it seem far far more intricate and sensitive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.