Another new Brexit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric

Administrator
After having to pull another Brexit thread this morning, decided it would be easier just to start a new one rather than waste time tidying the other one up. It's a good opportunity to start afresh, and draw a line in the sand. The previous approach of taking a hands-off approach to moderating these threads isn't really working, as the same groups of posters keep turning the threads to shit. Let's keep the discussion civil and debate things sensibly, otherwise you'll be removed from the thread and potentially banned from the forum completely. This applies to all the political threads in here. Report anyone that you feel is trolling or being unnecessarily anatagonistic so that we can deal with it rather than derailing threads with personal arguments. It's kind of the last throw of the dice this, so if this doesn't work we may just bin the political forum off completely. Cheers.

Noted.

As someone in the centre of the arguments I’m going to stay out of personal mud slinging as I think it’s a really good forum.

If we all just keep to topic we can make it work.

Time to put this to bed one way or the other.

Go back to the country with a fully legally binding referendum which will ask do we leave the EU with no deal as its clear that one cant be agreed or do we go all in on membership, adopt the Euro the lot.

Anything else prolongs the arguments and just kicks the proverbial can down the road with the country arguing the toss over the issue for ever.

Whatever the result, even if its won by 1 single vote we get on with and do.

The time of fence sitting and fudging has to be over.

Go back to the country with a fully legally binding referendum which will ask do we leave the EU with no deal as its clear that one cant be agreed or do we go all in on membership, adopt the Euro the lot.

Anything else prolongs the arguments and just kicks the proverbial can down the road with the country arguing the toss over the issue for ever.

So why should the losers in a close vote accept the result if it wasn't last time!

Another new brexit thread, another new brexit position.

We stay in. Simple as that. I still advocate leaving the EU, still hold the same criticisms that these recent appointments exacerbate that stance, and will hope our Parliament/Government returns to this issue of membership rather than just letting it slide.

It's clear this current, inept group of politicians cannot agree on what's best for the country and have put party politics ahead of reaching a workable conclusion.

At least they know not everyone is satisfied with our membership terms and dismissing them as "loonies and fruitcakes" doesn't work anymore.

Simple.

Democracy.

I am a leave voter btw dismayed that we have not left yet.
What happened to democracy at the last vote. It's more to do with disgraceful MPs accepting then renegading on that promise. Democracy needs politicians as much as the public to do what there paid to do. I see both sides but I for one will no longer vote in an institution that is not democratic

Agree there is not a deal that would be acceptable to anything like a majority, but then neither is No Deal or All In. Maintaining the status quo has got to be an option which I understand has the inherent risks of further integration, however I believe those risks are overblown by many of the Leavers. On the other hand, I believe going for a No Deal exit would cause economic chaos and would eventually lead us to rejoining on worse terms than we have now.

That isn't possible. We can't have a legally binding referendum that commits us to joining say the Euro or the Schengen group because the rest of the EU might not have us. Perhaps unlikely, but the possibility that they wouldn't means any referendum couldn't be binding. You are suggesting Parliament binds us to something that isn't within the UK's ability to deliver unilaterally.

What you could have is a simple revoke A50 & maintain status quo v No deal Brexit. There is no reason why a referendum on those terms couldn't be binding as they are both on purely UK terms. neither, unlike joining the Euro, say, is within the gift of the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.