anyone work in car insurance?

the armchair

need some advice.
lets say for arguments sake a car is insured by me and to include any other driver over the age of 21 but no other names .but the log book is in somebody elses name and that somebody else has a bump are we/me insured.
no guess's please just the answer if you know it.
cheers

This may not be up to date but the answer used to be No as you have no "insurable interest"
Further you would have been asked the question when submitting your proposal, so if you answered inaccurately or dishonestly this would void the insurance.
Someone no doubt will offer an authoritative answer, but as noone has yet my answer may prompt one.

edit; just reread your q, if the owner was driving and you had not specifically named him the Ins co would probably consider that you withheld pertinent info and void the policy on that basis, bottom line is if they can get out of paying they will.

Calm down dear, I'm in insurance but I'm such a cnut that you probably wouldn't want my advice. love, MW

You would be insured for damage to another vehicle or "3rd party" but as for damage to your car, as posted above, you don't have an insurable interest therefore you wouldn't be paid out for any damage to the car, in other words, you can't insure something you don't own. Unless you can convince the insurance company that whilst the log book is in another persons name as the registered keeper, you are actually the owner.

the armchair said:
the bump was caused by the 3rd party and the police have took several witness accounts to back this up.does this make any difference?

Keep your insurance co out of it if you can, your claim is against the 3rd party and if shown to be at 100% to blame, they will be liable for all costs and damages incurred.

lloydie said:
the armchair said:
the bump was caused by the 3rd party and the police have took several witness accounts to back this up.does this make any difference?

Keep your insurance co out of it if you can, your claim is against the 3rd party and if shown to be at 100% to blame, they will be liable for all costs and damages incurred.

If the 3rd party will settle up in full then you have no problem, but do you have the financial clout to take them to court if they don't offer up the cash promptly, probably not, you would also have to prove fault or get them to admit to it in court. This is what your insurance company will do on your behalf. That's what you pay your premium for. Get your insurance company involved because if you delay reporting the claim, they can just walk away, you have to report claims to them in reasonable time as soon after the event as you can. If it is a non-fault accident as you suggest, you won't lose your no claims discount and your insurance company will pursue your damages from the 3rd party insurers, if you are comprehensive, they will just pay out anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.