Apparent United starting 11

gio's side step said:
BUT, and this is not from a self deceived City fan, Chris Smalling is an average footballer. I don't care how old he is, or who he is playing for, he is poor by United's standards. I can see why initially people might think 'ah he's cultured, composed with this feet as Ferdinand was when he shone above the other cart horse type of old English centre halfs', but, (a) he's not that composed, his touch isnt great and (b) his positional sense defensively, is poor for a top 4 side (he's been caught out a few times this season).

He wasn't bought as the finished article. Having watched all his games this season, I see the potential in him, and a big game like this will be great experience for him. I think he can develop into a good centre-half, and the only way he will do so is by playing. He's got all the physical attributes, he just needs to work on things that take time...

Like you said, his positional sense is not the best, but he's only 21. Of course he's going to improve. As for his touch, these things improve with time.

Viva Rivaldo said:
gio's side step said:
BUT, and this is not from a self deceived City fan, Chris Smalling is an average footballer. I don't care how old he is, or who he is playing for, he is poor by United's standards. I can see why initially people might think 'ah he's cultured, composed with this feet as Ferdinand was when he shone above the other cart horse type of old English centre halfs', but, (a) he's not that composed, his touch isnt great and (b) his positional sense defensively, is poor for a top 4 side (he's been caught out a few times this season).

He wasn't bought as the finished article. Having watched all his games this season, I see the potential in him, and a big game like this will be great experience for him. I think he can develop into a good centre-half, and the only way he will do so is by playing. He's got all the physical attributes, he just needs to work on things that take time...

Like you said, his positional sense is not the best, but he's only 21. Of course he's going to improve. As for his touch, these things improve with time.

Tevez certainly enjoyed tearing him a new one at Fulham away last season, I recall?

These things do stick in players' minds.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Viva Rivaldo said:

Tevez certainly enjoyed tearing him a new one at Fulham away last season, I recall?

These things do stick in players' minds.

Yeah he was largely shite for Fulham last season, made loads of mistakes.

As I said before though, should be great experience for him. A good performance will do wonders for the lad.

Viva Rivaldo said:
gio's side step said:

I didn't say he was bought as the finished article. I'm just saying it as I see it. I don't think his potential is genuinely what you make it out to be. A good centre half he may become, but not good enough for Utd in my opinion. No where near good enough.

The Fixer said:
If they are playing 4-5-1 then berba will be on the bench, Rooney up top nani and gigs on the wings with a middle three of carrick/fletcher/anderson to match up with us.

I'd agree with most of that, except Rooney.

In a 4-5-1 Berbatoss plays more to the formation. If Rooney plays, it would be out wide.

One of the issues might be that chickpea is not back yet, so Ferguson needs a better option coming from the bench.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Ntini77 said:
I'd be surprised if he played both Berbatov & Rooney.

Rooney can play out wide, but would be a surprise in a 4-5-1 not to have Berbatoss up top.

Baconface clearly trying to match our power in the middle.

I'm expecting Rooney to play up top in a 4-3-3, with Nani & Park on the wings.

Playing Rooney & Berbatov suits us IMO.

I think it will be something like this -

VDS
Rafael, Smalling, Vidic, Evra
Carrick, Fletcher, Scholes
Park, Rooney, Nani

We're have to wait & see.............

The Fixer said:
If they are playing 4-5-1 then berba will be on the bench, Rooney up top nani and gigs on the wings with a middle three of carrick/fletcher/anderson to match up with us.

I'd agree with most of that, except Rooney.

In a 4-5-1 Berbatoss plays more to the formation. If Rooney plays, it would be out wide.

One of the issues might be that chickpea is not back yet, so Ferguson needs a better option coming from the bench.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.