Are we better than Chelsea?

Speaking as a Chelsea fan myself, I'd have to say City are the better side. Over the course of a league season City are marginally better. In a match scenario, City are quite comfortably better. The league table and competitive results rather prove this.

That said, I think we're catching up. You've got to consider that Chelsea's squad is full of players that haven't properly settled and aren't as fluent with the way each other play as City would be. You've also got to consider that we have several extremely talented players on loan- Courtois, De Bruyne, Lukaku, Chalobah. In addition, like City, we have an excellent manager coming in and will almost certainly be spending big this season. A few recalls and a new striker, central midfielder and centre-half will see Chelsea compete for the league next year.

It should prove an excellent season to come though, I'm really hoping for a competitive league being much tighter with 5 or 6 clubs although I won't say no to a stroll for us!

Gary Cahill is one of the most overrated players in the Prem, very lucky to be at a club like Chelsea. John Terry is spent, apart from when trophies are being handed out and he's there. David Luiz is either excellent or a liability. Ivanovic is a decent player. Aspilacueta is a decent player. Ashley Cole is still good.

You could replace their entire back four with better players, quite easily. And to become a true threat I think they need to do that or at least do it with the centre halves.

Their midfield is good going forward, but they need a top DM (so do we!). Oscar Mata Hazard and Ramires are very good quality players and Lampard is a goal machine.

Torres is still a good player and has played well this season. He gets more stick than he deserves to be honest. But there are many better out there.

The thing is I think we have loads of flaws in our team and squad too. But we're slightly better than Chelsea, apart from in attacking midfield where they're much stronger than us.

Wierdly enough I think the shine has somewhat gone off mourinho a bit this year, he has bitched, moaned and complained about everything this year and that used to come off as a bit of character , having the us against the world mentality but its somewhat backfired this year and he has left RM under a bit of a cloud and this whole prodigal son returning to chelsea just doesnt wash with me anymore.

He is undoubtedly a good manager of that there is no doubt but i just think this year has somewhat took the shine off his crown and he has come across as much like a petulant child than a special manager.

fulhamroad22 said:
Speaking as a Chelsea fan myself, I'd have to say City are the better side. Over the course of a league season City are marginally better. In a match scenario, City are quite comfortably better. The league table and competitive results rather prove this.

That said, I think we're catching up. You've got to consider that Chelsea's squad is full of players that haven't properly settled and aren't as fluent with the way each other play as City would be. You've also got to consider that we have several extremely talented players on loan- Courtois, De Bruyne, Lukaku, Chalobah. In addition, like City, we have an excellent manager coming in and will almost certainly be spending big this season. A few recalls and a new striker, central midfielder and centre-half will see Chelsea compete for the league next year.

I think most people would agree that when Jose comes back you will be a far better side and possibly favourites for the league next season.
The only possible fly in the ointment is Jose breaking the golden rule of never going back. However I fully expect that particular old saying to have no meaning whatsoever as far as Mourinho is concerned.
What will be interesting is how his relationship with Abramovich develops. Both like to be the boss, and there will always only be one winner there. Even if he's as successful as everyone expects him to be, I don't see him at Chelsea longer than 2 years.

mancboy123 said:
Wierdly enough I think the shine has somewhat gone off mourinho a bit this year, he has bitched, moaned and complained about everything this year and that used to come off as a bit of character , having the us against the world mentality but its somewhat backfired this year and he has left RM under a bit of a cloud and this whole prodigal son returning to chelsea just doesnt wash with me anymore.

He is undoubtedly a good manager of that there is no doubt but i just think this year has somewhat took the shine off his crown and he has come across as much like a petulant child than a special manager.
He's lost his aura, for me. He thought he was bigger than any club and then was shown to be just another bloke by Real Madrid. Players, fans, local press and national press saw through him and his bullshit that everyone in England seems to be drawn in by.

Yep I completely agree, its very easy to outwit the press over here , you tell them what they want to hear, give them a good soundbite or bully them and they will kiss your ass and call it ice cream, i.e. harry redknapp.

In spain it was a bit different when he whinged and complained the press called him on his bullshit and he had no answer, so just like he did at chelsea when things started going badly he went running, thats why he aint special to me, he comes in and pushes a team who were 1st or second to begin with and they win the league and everyone says hes incredible but the moment there is a touch of adversity he is on the outs.

mancboy123 said:
Yep I completely agree, its very easy to outwit the press over here , you tell them what they want to hear, give them a good soundbite or bully them and they will kiss your ass and call it ice cream, i.e. harry redknapp.

In spain it was a bit different when he whinged and complained the press called him on his bullshit and he had no answer, so just like he did at chelsea when things started going badly he went running, thats why he aint special to me, he comes in and pushes a team who were 1st or second to begin with and they win the league and everyone says hes incredible but the moment there is a touch of adversity he is on the outs.

They'll be more competition for him this time round at the Bridge.

It doesn't matter who is better, all that matters is whether the competition between the two clubs is healthy IMO it is. I would rather all the top five clubs were closer together in terms of points and making a real go of it in prem league next season it makes for a better league and more exciting football. But I am old fashioned.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.