Are we missing Barry this much....?

dancity19

Last season Barry was awesome, and I think that is being highlighted with our lack of dominance in midfield so far this season. I think also we missed De Jong yesterday, but he's gone so no point in discussing that.

Barry obviously has a huge impact on both the defence and the attack in terms of the position he plays, and the role he performs. Hopefully Garcia can step up to it; impressed against Stoke, but less so yesterday, however as others have said you can't judge him yet. BUT, when you are chasing the title, there is little time for adaption in key positions as you don't want to play catch up all season, so I hope he adapts to the pace asap. I hope missing out on the top targets, and buying the 2nd or 3rd choices (I really like Garcia, a lot, but lets be honest) won't come back to bite us.

Also, this isn't a flapping thread, as only 5 games have gone, but to drop points we weren't dropping last season shouldn't be happening. We have to look to gain points we weren't last season. Fulham away is important; if we win there that will be 2 points on last season gained. Likewise I think we have the capacity to take 6pts off Sunderland (5 pts gained) and 6 off WBA (2 points gained.

Taking another 6 of Spurs and United won't be easy though. It's also a little annoying when you see United and Arsenal getting 3 points at lpool when we only got 1, but that's football, and that always happens.

Who knows, we have got off to a sloppy start, before yesterday we had dropped more points in our first 4 games, than we did in the first 14 of last season. Likewise, we haven't played well yet. At least we haven't lost.....we could get off to a sloppy start but end up going the season unbeaten, so of course its faaaar too early to get worried, but we need to improve and fast, we are 4 points behind Chelsea, and I don't think we ever dropped outside the top 2 last season did we?

So, it's too early to worry, but you don't want to slip further behind, or play catch up all season, so i think Fulham is an important game for us. It's not a great ground for us, but we did win 4-1 there 2 seasons ago, so I hope it can be the catalyst to the season, and get a nice away win.

dancity19 said:
Last season Barry was awesome, and I think that is being highlighted with our lack of dominance in midfield so far this season. I think also we missed De Jong yesterday, but he's gone so no point in discussing that.

Barry obviously has a huge impact on both the defence and the attack in terms of the position he plays, and the role he performs. Hopefully Garcia can step up to it; impressed against Stoke, but less so yesterday, however as others have said you can't judge him yet. BUT, when you are chasing the title, there is little time for adaption in key positions as you don't want to play catch up all season, so I hope he adapts to the pace asap. I hope missing out on the top targets, and buying the 2nd or 3rd choices (I really like Garcia, a lot, but lets be honest) won't come back to bite us.

Also, this isn't a flapping thread, as only 5 games have gone, but to drop points we weren't dropping last season shouldn't be happening. We have to look to gain points we weren't last season. Fulham away is important; if we win there that will be 2 points on last season gained. Likewise I think we have the capacity to take 6pts off Sunderland (5 pts gained) and 6 off WBA (2 points gained.

Taking another 6 of Spurs and United won't be easy though. It's also a little annoying when you see United and Arsenal getting 3 points at lpool when we only got 1, but that's football, and that always happens.

Who knows, we have got off to a sloppy start, before yesterday we had dropped more points in our first 4 games, than we did in the first 14 of last season. Likewise, we haven't played well yet. At least we haven't lost.....we could get off to a sloppy start but end up going the season unbeaten, so of course its faaaar too early to get worried, but we need to improve and fast, we are 4 points behind Chelsea, and I don't think we ever dropped outside the top 2 last season did we?

So, it's too early to worry, but you don't want to slip further behind, or play catch up all season, so i think Fulham is an important game for us. It's not a great ground for us, but we did win 4-1 there 2 seasons ago, so I hope it can be the catalyst to the season, and get a nice away win.

Barry would also struggle in a two man midfield

We need to get back to what we were doing last season

dctid said:
dancity19 said:

He was in a two man midfield for most of last season.

greasedupdeafguy said:
dctid said:
dancity19 said:

No he was not we played a 4 3 2 1 but when we lost the ball we went effectively to a 5 man midfield

We are now playing two out and out strikers which leave us short in midfield hence opposing teams are finding more room and are able to get at our defence easier and hence we are shipping more goals

Watch the game yesterday there were many many times when Aguero and Edin and Silva were just jogging back when Le Arse was in possession which meant we were undermanned in midfield

Lsst season we would never ever have committed so many players forward so freuqently

If Mancini wants to play 2 up front one of the strikers MUST drop back into midfield - many many occasions this season it has not happened.

dctid said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
dctid said:

No he was not we played a 4 3 2 1 but when we lost the ball we went effectively to a 5 man midfield

We are now playing two out and out strikers which leave us short in midfield hence opposing teams are finding more room and are able to get at our defence easier and hence we are shipping more goals

Watch the game yesterday there were many many times when Aguero and Edin and Silva were just jogging back when Le Arse was in possession which meant we were undermanned in midfield

Lsst season we would never ever have committed so many players forward so freuqently

If Mancini wants to play 2 up front one of the strikers MUST drop back into midfield - many many occasions this season it has not happened.

I agree 4-2-3-1 was better; it was almost the perfect formation for the players we have.

It's a tendancy when results or performance isn't up to what we expect to focus on who should be in the side along with highlighting who is below par.

Who knows whether we would be better placed points wise if Barry or Milner or whoever had of been in the side for the first five games.

Its not really relevant who isn't in the team when we play as the side chosen is the only one that can do the business.

Its no more relevant to saying Arsenal probably wouldn't have conceded from a corner yesterday had their skipper starting for them.

One thing I do know is that making 5 changes to the starting eleven from one premiership game to the next on a consistent basis isn't going to help our cause.

The performances haven't been on song this season but by and large the results haven't been too far short of what we require.

Arsenal did enough to get a point yesterday but they certainly didn't dominate possession in the parts of the ground that matter and we were a tad unlucky not to get three points from Stoke although the performance as was the case yesterday was not of the standard we expect or is required to ensure victory.

We created more clear cut chances yesterday than we did in the corresponding game last season and ended up with 2 points less such is the nature of football.

I think a few people are over simplifying our problems. They see Barry missing and say that's the root cause of us under performing. You could slot Barry back in and we'd still play poorly because our key players have just not turned up this season and until they do we will carry on leaking goals for fun.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.