Ask Granny if she played. Manchester Corinthians

Gary James

Experience has shown they don’t talk about it but quite a few of our grannies played football. Can everyone ask their older female family members and if they did then ask if they played for Manchester Corinthians, a pioneering team from 1940s to 1980s. We’re unveiling a plaque and other tributes to them.

Full story here:

https://gjfootballarchive.com/2023/09/07/manchester-corinthians-plaque-unveiling/

I‘m keen to track down more Corinthians.

Not about Manchester Corinthians,however my wife used to tell me about a girl who used to play football with all the lads at their school- Parrs Wood, in the early 70s.
The girls name was Gail Rothwell and as well as being a talented footballer,she was also a keen City fan and had a few brothers who were also City fans.
I checked her name on the Internet a few years ago and it turns out that Gail Redston (nee Rothwell) played for City Ladies back in the 1980s and was well regarded by the club. And she carried on working for City Ladies in various backroom roles untill a few years ago.

Not about Manchester Corinthians,however my wife used to tell me about a girl who used to play football with all the lads at their school- Parrs Wood, in the early 70s.
The girls name was Gail Rothwell and as well as being a talented footballer,she was also a keen City fan and had a few brothers who were also City fans.
I checked her name on the Internet a few years ago and it turns out that Gail Redston (nee Rothwell) played for City Ladies back in the 1980s and was well regarded by the club. And she carried on working for City Ladies in various backroom roles untill a few years ago.
I know Gail. She played with my wife at City and they both still play together now, with quite a few other former City players at Walking Football. I interviewed her and included her story in my book on Manchester City Women. She’s on this photo from the 30th anniversary:

I know Gail. She played with my wife at City and they both still play together now, with quite a few other former City players at Walking Football. I interviewed her and included her story in my book on Manchester City Women. She’s on this photo from the 30th anniversary:

I've just asked the wife to see if she recognized Gail in that photo,and she isn't sure but she thinks that Gail is one of the older short haired ladies on the front row.
But it's 49 years ago since they left Parrs Wood so she maybe mistaken.

Experience has shown they don’t talk about it but quite a few of our grannies played football. Can everyone ask their older female family members and if they did then ask if they played for Manchester Corinthians, a pioneering team from 1940s to 1980s. We’re unveiling a plaque and other tributes to them.

Full story here:

https://gjfootballarchive.com/2023/09/07/manchester-corinthians-plaque-unveiling/

I‘m keen to track down more Corinthians.
Gonna need a shovel.

So good to read they are both playing football. I do love Walking Football as much as Football itself and recommend it to anyone who wants to keep playing in latter years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.