Ask Granny if she played. Manchester Corinthians

Shame I missed this. I caught it on ITV local news. My Mum is now
87 yrs old and played for Corinthians around 1951. She was 15 yrs old and was on Cringle playing fields waiting for a lad she was seeing to finish playing his football match. She started kicking a ball about behind the goals to pass the time. A girl came up to her and asked if she fancied playing for a team ( Corinthians). She went along and met the manager Percy Ashley. She played on the pitch on Fogg Lane but can’t remember how she travelled there as she lived in Bradford not far from where the Etihad is now. She played for about a year until she met my Dad who didn’t approve so she gave up. Both Mum and Dad still carried on going to football to watch Man City home & away and brought us all up as Blues. My Mum was a Man City lottery agent for eight years in the late 70’s & 80’s. She was not allowed to go to the annual meeting with MCFC Directors because she was a woman! After a few years one of the Directors relented and allowed her to go- imagine that today. She is still a plucky lady getting on with life and still supporting City. My Dad played in a football team with John Bond while doing National Service together. He sadly died at 90yrs weeks before the CL triumph. Many thanks for this, I plan on taking Mum to see the plaque soon.

Shame I missed this. I caught it on ITV local news. My Mum is now
87 yrs old and played for Corinthians around 1951. She was 15 yrs old and was on Cringle playing fields waiting for a lad she was seeing to finish playing his football match. She started kicking a ball about behind the goals to pass the time. A girl came up to her and asked if she fancied playing for a team ( Corinthians). She went along and met the manager Percy Ashley. She played on the pitch on Fogg Lane but can’t remember how she travelled there as she lived in Bradford not far from where the Etihad is now. She played for about a year until she met my Dad who didn’t approve so she gave up. Both Mum and Dad still carried on going to football to watch Man City home & away and brought us all up as Blues. My Mum was a Man City lottery agent for eight years in the late 70’s & 80’s. She was not allowed to go to the annual meeting with MCFC Directors because she was a woman! After a few years one of the Directors relented and allowed her to go- imagine that today. She is still a plucky lady getting on with life and still supporting City. My Dad played in a football team with John Bond while doing National Service together. He sadly died at 90yrs weeks before the CL triumph. Many thanks for this, I plan on taking Mum to see the plaque soon.
Great to hear that she’s still around. I’m also writing the book on the Corinthians and would love to interview her. Please get in touch, either via DMs or email gary@gjfootballarchive.com I’m determined the book will tell the story of the club through the voices of those who played. Lots on the Corinthians on my website too.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Great to hear that she’s still around. I’m also writing the book on the Corinthians and would love to interview her. Please get in touch, either via DMs or email gary@gjfootballarchive.com I’m determined the book will tell the story of the club through the voices of those who played. Lots on the Corinthians on my website too.
I look forward to hearing from you.
I will have a chat with her and get back to you Gary, thanks

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.