Aston Villa Thread - 2023/24

At what point are they actually considered title contenders?
Is it possible for them to do the same as Leicester City did in 2016 ??
Nobody took Leicester seriously in 2015 ,but they kept on winning games while the other top sides couldn't get their acts together.
Villa weren't one of the fancied sides back in 1981 (Liverpool, Nottingham Forest ,United and Ipswich Town were the top sides 42 years ago).
And yet Villa won their first league title (old First Division) since 1910.

Last edited:
Is it possible for them to do the same as Leicester City did in 2016 ??
Nobody took Leicester seriously in 2015 ,but they kept on winning games while the other top sides couldn't get their acts together.
Villa weren't one of the fancied sides back in 1981 (Liverpool, Nottingham Forest ,United and Ipswich Town were the top sides 42 years ago).
And yet Villa won their first league title (old First Division) since 1910.
That's precisely it. All of what you'd consider to be the likely contenders had off seasons. It was the perfect storm as far as Leicester were concerned. For Villa to replicate that feat, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs (?) and us would have to underachieve. Can you honestly see that happening? All 4 of them?

I didn't include Chelsea or Trafford's finest; I was only including realistic contenders.

That's precisely it. All of what you'd consider to be the likely contenders had off seasons. It was the perfect storm as far as Leicester were concerned. For Villa to replicate that feat, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs (?) and us would have to underachieve. Can you honestly see that happening? All 4 of them?

I didn't include Chelsea or Trafford's finest; I was only including realistic contenders.
Well it's already happened once in 2016 and also in 1981.
So the stars would really have to align in Villas favour, but it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility.
But I do agree it is unlikely to happen, but definitely not impossible.

Well it's already happened once in 2016 and also in 1981.
So the stars would really have to align in Villas favour, but it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility.
But I do agree it is unlikely to happen, but definitely not impossible.
Possible? Yes; of course it is.
Probable? I would say it's very unlikely. I wouldn't be staking big money on it!

Emery is a very good manager. It didn't work at Arsenal because the board and supporters were inpatient and think they are the best team in England when they haven't been for years.

Emery has fitted in well at Villa because he's a winner (Sevilla Europa Leagues) and he knows how to win big games.

The signings they made in the summer were very good signings and I couldn't believe how he got Pau Torres to Villa when he was easily good enough to even play for us.

Still a long way to go yet but players like Martinez, Watkins and McGinn are the reason they are playing very well.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.