City Football Group (CFG) buy into Chinese club Sichuan Jiuniu FC (from Chengdu)

Is Uruguay where all the really dodgy South American football shit goes down, or is that somewhere else? The place with that second division side who "own" a bunch of big name players who play in Europe, but none of them ever set foot there? Pretty sure Rulli was one of them, along with a bunch of others. Some really dodgy shit goes down in South American football, not that keen on getting involved in all that

I'm curious do the CFG pump money into these other teams like they did with us or do we just buy the clubs and leave it at that?

They do invest and then maintain that investment relative to the turnover and running costs.
So as example in Melbourne they bought the license of Melbourne Heart for approx 12m Aud. Spent a further 25m on building a training facility. Spent some more on players (not alot due to being a salary capped League ) but generally the club has to operate and generate its own turnover.

Although this all this could be pretty much paid for Mooy gets sold for 20m pounds or more.

So yes they put in but not excessively.

Is Uruguay where all the really dodgy South American football shit goes down, or is that somewhere else? The place with that second division side who "own" a bunch of big name players who play in Europe, but none of them ever set foot there? Pretty sure Rulli was one of them, along with a bunch of others. Some really dodgy shit goes down in South American football, not that keen on getting involved in all that
and there isnt any dodgy shit going on here ??

You're absolutely spot on, mate.

In Sorriano's book he talks about Barca looking at the model of having multiple clubs in multiple countries. They were at an advanced stage of creating a Barcelona franchise in Miami but they decided against it.

Sorriano goes on to talk about the model of having multiple clubs in multiple countries. He says the US and S.E. Asia would be the ideal territories to do it because there is huge wealth and a strong following for football which is in it's infancy. Hearts and minds are still to be won so there would be little or no resistance to new clubs.

He goes on to say Europe and South America have long established links to football clubs going back generations and that there would be great hostility to launching new clubs / rebranding existing ones in these areas, so he didn't think it was viable.

He also went on to say that South America and Africa would be less attractive than the US and SE Asia because there wasn't as much disposable income, making it less attractive commercially.

So South America was seen as the least attractive territory for a new club because the local fans would be resistant to it, and there is less wealth and disposable income than in other areas.

I don't know if the OP has some inside information, but going off Sorriano's book, I would be absolutely stunned if we launched a CFG club in South America. Creating a friendly link with an existing club to help in developing young players like we have with NAC Breda or Girono, possibly, but a Montevideo City FC? No chance in hell would be my guess.

Looks like I had some inside info bud, so I hope you're suitably stunned ;)

and there isnt any dodgy shit going on here ??
Not remotely on the same level, no. It's Deportivo Maldonado I was thinking of and they are in Uruguay. They are essentially just a workaround for 3rd party ownership, but South America in general is the wild west of football finance, absolutely ridiculous stuff goes on there all the time

If the club is looking for a club in South America surely with all our Argentine influence in the players we have here at the club. It would make more sense to buy a club there, then put a couple of our players through their coaching badges and let them be on the look out for some top quality players. That way we might be able to pick up the next Lionel Messi or Sergio Aguero before the likes of Real Madrid or Barcelona come sniffing around. Just think of all the money that might be saved on some future transfer fees.

Not remotely on the same level, no. It's Deportivo Maldonado I was thinking of and they are in Uruguay. They are essentially just a workaround for 3rd party ownership, but South America in general is the wild west of football finance, absolutely ridiculous stuff goes on there all the time
makes me wonder why our owners would consider getting involved with a team from south america if things are that bad, ive always had the impression they like to keep things squeeky clean

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.