Average speed cameras

bellbuzzer said:
RP2 said:
I know of a mate who has recently been done for this on the M60.

A way around it is to hide behind a lorry for a couple of the cameras, then it won't work. Or alternatively, follow the speed limit.

the cameras take pictures from the rear, motorbikes have no front number plate.
basically the system is a glorified stopwatch, pass 2 cameras 10 miles apart in 10 minutes and your average speed is 60 mph. If you do 90 for a stretch then 30 for a stretch [ hardly practical] you average the same. Photograhic evidence from the hi-def cameras means challenging the ticket is a waste of time. Every vehicle is snapped, speeding or not, what happens to the film is any-ones guess.

Perhaps it gets handed to Sir Leon Brittain ......and appropriately lost?

I was done near Huddersfield in the roadworks - 65mph I think

Dodged the points by doing the driver awareness course

RP2 said:
I know of a mate who has recently been done for this on the M60.

A way around it is to hide behind a lorry for a couple of the cameras, then it won't work. Or alternatively, follow the speed limit.

there are a few products on the market which reflect the flash so the number plate is unreadable however how reliable they are is anyone's guess and i'm sure non of us are going to test them to find out however from one reliable source who worked in this country for a company call Gatsometer BV highly recommended snake oil which is available for around £15 a bottle, just lightly rub a film of it over your plate with a cloth and that will last a month unless you go through the car wash
pitty i didnt have it on the the week when i got done

Kippaxian said:
Over 32,000 caught on the M60 near Bredbury over a 3 year period - the most profitable camera in the country

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/10267435/Ten-speed-cameras-bring-in-12m.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... n-12m.html</a>

That one got me!

jimharri said:
By the way OP; what the fuck is an ''average speed camera''?

I guess you don't have them in Ireland Jim. They're a series of staggered cameras usually in motorway roadworks, where the limit is set at 50 or occasionally 40, which supposedly check the average speed of vehicles passing through. The GATSO cameras are a single units which flash if your speed is above the limit at the point where you pass it and it looks like a couple of posters have confused the two.

I was driving through the 10 mile stretch of roadworks on the M6 near Hilton Park services this morning and as I approached the first camera I slowed to 50 in the inside lane when a lorry (Irish plates as it happens!) came zooming up behind me flashing me to put my foot down. He then overtook me doing about 60 but probably the authorities can't (or just don't attempt to) prosecute non-UK registered vehicles and the driver knew it.

I want to break into my neighbour's house and nick his lovely big 50 inch telly.
Is it fair if I get caught and done for it?

laserblue said:
jimharri said:
By the way OP; what the fuck is an ''average speed camera''?

I guess you don't have them in Ireland Jim. They're a series of staggered cameras usually in motorway roadworks, where the limit is set at 50 or occasionally 40, which supposedly check the average speed of vehicles passing through. The GATSO cameras are a single units which flash if your speed is above the limit at the point where you pass it and it looks like a couple of posters have confused the two.

I was driving through the 10 mile stretch of roadworks on the M6 near Hilton Park services this morning and as I approached the first camera I slowed to 50 in the inside lane when a lorry (Irish plates as it happens!) came zooming up behind me flashing me to put my foot down. He then overtook me doing about 60 but probably the authorities can't (or just don't attempt to) prosecute non-UK registered vehicles and the driver knew it.

Not really. Most vehicles have speedometers that are hopelessly optimistic when it comes to the actual speed the vehicle is travelling at. If you travel at an indicated 50 mph on your speedometer, in reaity, your actual speed will be 45 mph.

Speed cameras have a tolerance of 10%, which they have to adhere to by law, plus 2 mph, so a 50mph average speed camera means you can travel at 57 mph. Factor in the 10% optimism of your speedodmeter, so an indicated 60 mph is actually only 54 mph, and you are comfortably within the confines of the law.

Speedometers have to be accurate to plus or minus 10%, and most manufacturers apply the lower limit for safety reasons, which is perfectly reasonable, but have you ever thought why the Police don't charge anyone for speeding on the motorways until they are doing an indicated 85 mph?

I always do about 55mph (according to my speedo) and haven't been caught. The reason why I mention my speedo is because when i'm doing 55mph, my sat nav says i'm doing 50/51 so there might be a bit of truth in what Fowler's Pen says.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.