Barry Howard R.I.P.

Sam Armstrong

The actor Barry Howard, probably best known for his portrayal of the holiday camps' 'camp' male ballroom dancing instructor in the comedy series Hi-De-Hi has died at the age of 78 from blood cancer.

Starring alongside Dianne Holland as his on-screen wife Yvonne, camp Barry often became the victim of many of the entertainment team's antics, while his snobby wife tried to preserve her dignity amid the holiday camp shenanigans.

It was often hinted that Barry was gay, although it was never confirmed on the show, and the character departed after seven series.

Always found him very funny in what could sometimes be a cringeworthy series, understandably not to everyone's taste, but still a part of my memories growing up. R.I.P.
_45485404_-18.jpg

Last edited:
yes these 2 were very funny , yvonne and barry stewart-hargreaves, altho probably not well liked due to their constant bickering

The actor Barry Howard, probably best known for his portrayal of the holiday camps' 'camp' male ballroom dancing instructor in the comedy series Hi-De-Hi has died at the age of 78 from blood cancer.

Starring alongside Dianne Holland as his on-screen wife Yvonne, camp Barry often became the victim of many of the entertainment team's antics, while his snobby wife tried to preserve her dignity amid the holiday camp shenanigans.

It was often hinted that Barry was gay, although it was never confirmed on the show, and the character departed after seven series.

Always found him very funny in what could sometimes be a cringeworthy series, understandably not to everyone's taste, but still a part of my memories growing up. R.I.P.
_45485404_-18.jpg
Bye-de-bye!

For a poorly written show (rubbish storylines) it had some great characters, these two were great. I liked the punch and judy guy who hated kids.

RIP.

Yes, some good points. On the whole it was a very patchy show and nowhere near the classic level perry and Croft's dads Army reached, but Barry and Yvonne Stuart Hargreaves were the best thing about it. The name alone always makes me laugh ! Simon Cadell's miserable, dry Geoffrey Fairbrother was good in it too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.