Barry Knowles RIP

There are some fans (all clubs have them) who will back down in a pub banter argument 'Ok, yeah, we were a bit poor and your lot deserved to win. Leave me alone'. Not Barry. No surrender from him. His attitude was 'We are City - we'll do whatever we effin' want'. A gentle guy - but he would deliver a verbal riposte instantly to anyone who crossed him (football-wise) with a real growl in his voice.

Barry worked in Cheadle, I worked in Manchester and we got the same bus every day - we only talked football except for when we were passing the pubs - he used to tell me which ones the old Stockport nut jobs drank in. Cut Barry and you would see sky blue blood. RIP Barry.
There was enough Stockport nut jobs in the junction when I was growing up. R.I.P

For anyone who lives around the Cheadle Hulme area and has been a regular in the Junction sad news that Barry passed away in his sleep this week after a long illness.

Despite having The Big C he continued to follow City but was not well enough to attend Wolves this week with his last game being the Burton 9-0 game, a fitting finale for the biggest Blue I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

I met Barry(or Bazzor as we liked to call him) through my cousin and quickly found we had something in common In life......our love of City and beer.

A group of us would follow City everywhere and you always knew it was going to be fun with Barry around.

One Saturday pre season I wanted to go to watch City at Kilmarnock but had not made any arrangements. It was 10am. I had a pass from the wife.
However, I didnt want to go on my own. " Who do I know that is daft enough that can I ring this late on to go to Kilmarnock?" I asked the wife. "Barry" she replied and sure enough 30 minutes later we were on our way.

For anyone who knew him I will put funeral details on here as well as getting over to the Junction to put a notice up there.His ashes are to be spread at the Memorial Garden at City alongside wilfwild1937 his younger friend who passed away last year.
Whenever I saw Barry on the way to the match, he was usually with a guy on the Bullocks match special bus (wore glasses, in his 50s - can't remember his name). He had shares in City and wasn't best pleased when his shares were acquired by SM - albeit I'm sure he got over it. God, if you're talking about this friend of Barry's who I think you are then I'm shocked and saddened again.

Whenever I saw Barry on the way to the match, he was usually with a guy on the Bullocks match special bus (wore glasses, in his 50s - can't remember his name). He had shares in City and wasn't best pleased when his shares were acquired by SM - albeit I'm sure he got over it. God, if you're talking about this friend of Barry's who I think you are then I'm shocked and saddened again.

Yes that was Steve AKA wilfwild1937 on here. Barrys ashes will be scattered next to his at the Memorial Garden.

As there was no wake today we will be scattering Barrys ashes at the ground on Sunday at 12pm (before the Arsenal game) then going to the Grove Inn (Clayton) to have a few drinks and reminisce about the good times we all had with him.

Anyone who knew Barry and wants to join us is very welcome.

As there was no wake today we will be scattering Barrys ashes at the ground on Sunday at 12pm (before the Arsenal game) then going to the Grove Inn (Clayton) to have a few drinks and reminisce about the good times we all had with him.

Anyone who knew Barry and wants to join us is very welcome.

Tbilisi, I would just like to thank you for looking after Barry. I know this is a year late, but I was reminiscing about the past and the people I knew in my life and your thread came up. I have lived in France since 1978, but I grew up with Barry. He was born on 28/08/54 (so was 64 when he died) just 3 months before me, and our parents were friends having met at Bramhall Park Tennis Club in the early 50s. He lived in Granby Road back then and I lived in Ravenoak Park Road. They/We used to meet up very regularly and I think I must have seen Barry for the last time in about 2002, before my Dad died. Barbara, Barry's Mum, was well into her 90s when she died. Barry's family was limited to one cousin who lived down South and was older than us. His Dad, Edgar, was very intolerant of his total support of, and dedication to, City, to the exclusion of anything else in his life. The arguments they had were phenomenal.... I presume he lived in Sunningdale Road, Cheadle Hulme until the end. Strangely, after working for the MEN, then the AA, he never learnt how to drive.... I'm sure The Hesketh in Hulme Hall Road used to be his pub, but maybe that is going back a very long time. Once agin, for a very old friend, thank you for being there for a final farewell. He would have appreciated it. All the best to you. Steve

Tbilisi, I would just like to thank you for looking after Barry. I know this is a year late, but I was reminiscing about the past and the people I knew in my life and your thread came up. I have lived in France since 1978, but I grew up with Barry. He was born on 28/08/54 (so was 64 when he died) just 3 months before me, and our parents were friends having met at Bramhall Park Tennis Club in the early 50s. He lived in Granby Road back then and I lived in Ravenoak Park Road. They/We used to meet up very regularly and I think I must have seen Barry for the last time in about 2002, before my Dad died. Barbara, Barry's Mum, was well into her 90s when she died. Barry's family was limited to one cousin who lived down South and was older than us. His Dad, Edgar, was very intolerant of his total support of, and dedication to, City, to the exclusion of anything else in his life. The arguments they had were phenomenal.... I presume he lived in Sunningdale Road, Cheadle Hulme until the end. Strangely, after working for the MEN, then the AA, he never learnt how to drive.... I'm sure The Hesketh in Hulme Hall Road used to be his pub, but maybe that is going back a very long time. Once agin, for a very old friend, thank you for being there for a final farewell. He would have appreciated it. All the best to you. Steve

Ive had a shit day today but reading that has put a smile on my face,thank you.

I had a picture of Barry done on a piece of slate with his mate Steve Wylde(used to post on here as WilfWild1937) and I have put it in the memorial garden with both their ashes.

I go at the start of the month to move it as they clear the garden up and its a pain getting it back.I put it back before the derby and will ensure its kept there as often as I can going forward, its the least both of them deserve.

Thanks again.

Ps I dont know if you know Pete (Slavy) of Cheadle Hulme Albion fame but Im his Cousin.

Last edited:
Ive had a shit day today but reading that has put a smile on my face,thank you.

I had a picture of Barry done on a piece of slate with his mate Steve Wylde(used to post on here as WilfWild1937) and I have put it in the memorial garden with both their ashes.

I go at the start of the month to move it as they clear the garden up and its a pain getting it back.I put it back before the derby and will ensure its kept there as often as I can going forward, its the least both of them deserve.

Thanks again.

Ps I dont know if you know Pete (Slavy) of Cheadle Hulme Albion fame but Im his Cousin.

You really are a lovely person and a dedicated friend. Barry often mentioned some of his friends, usually the people I knew and those we had grown up with in the Church Road 'village' in Cheadle Hulme. His Mum was lovely. She worked for a time at Monkhouse's in Cheadle Hulme village. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and are you from Cheadle Hulme?

Last edited:
You really are a lovely person and a dedicated friend. Barry often mentioned some of his friends, usually the people I knew and those we had grown up with in the Church Road 'village' in Cheadle Hulme. His Mum was lovely. She worked for a time at Monkhouse's in Cheadle Hulme village. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and are you from Cheadle Hulme?

Im 58 but not from Cheadle Hulme.From Denton but then moved all over but now in Disley.

My cousins Vin and Pete both massive Blues moved to Cheadle Hulme from Gorton(all my family from there)in the 70s and had Peters Pantry on Grove Lane.Thats how I got to know Barry. Vin is bornlate58 on here.

One time I was sat in the house bored on a Sat morning and wife/mum in law said why are you not going to Kilmarnock? I replied its 10am, who can I call at this late stage to do a friendly in Scotland?
30 minutes later I was on my way with Barry in the passenger seat!

Its great you remember him.

Where in France did you move to?

I live in Normandy close to where my Mum's family came from straight after I qualified. I bet Barry told me that story about going to Scotland. The Church Road. Cheadle Hulme village is hard to imagine now. It was totally separate from Cheadle Hulme village and everyone knew each other. Our parents used to meet up regularly after we moved to Knutsford (my Mum always did an Xmas Eve hot pot) and we always ended up playing Newmarket (for matches, of course ;) ). I think Barry stayed in touch with the Dick family who were also our age. One of the brothers moved to Gill Bent Road. Not sure if they were City fans though. I know Disley quite well as my father's side are from Marple/New Mills. I get all my satellite stuff from D and C Satellite on the Buxton Road. My cousin had her wedding reception at The Ram's Head back in the day... Lovely chatting to you. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.