Benjamin Mendy - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing going forward but really struggled defensively. Far to easy for opposition players to go past, just hangs out a leg. Hopefully pep will address with coaching.

Amazing going forward but really struggled defensively. Far to easy for opposition players to go past, just hangs out a leg. Hopefully pep will address with coaching.
His defending looks so bad that im not sure it can be fixed totally by coaching. He will improve in defending but I think hes going to be one of those full backs who will always be dodgy defensively.

His defending looks so bad that im not sure it can be fixed totally by coaching. He will improve in defending but I think hes going to be one of those full backs who will always be dodgy defensively.

Really? He’s been out for a year and a half with a serious injury and only really just came back and we are already doing this. I reckon he’ll be a brilliant defensively, but it’s dofficult to judge him after 3 games

Really? He’s been out for a year and a half with a serious injury and only really just came back and we are already doing this. I reckon he’ll be a brilliant defensively, but it’s dofficult to judge him after 3 games

He was like that at monaco aswel. Watch both champions league knockout games that season and he was a liability defensively and torn apart by sterling. That's his game and it will take a lot to coach it out of him. Honestly If you gave me a choice between the control and ability to retain possession without the attacking threat that delph gave compared to the attacking threat that mendy gives but without the control and ability to both maintain/retain possession, I would choose the former everyday. The biggest thing for me last season was how rarely you got games where it was an open affair of we'll score more than you which might be the case going forward if pep persists with the current system of 3 at the back with mendy and silva/attacking player as wing-backs.

Amazing going forward, however, at present his defending leaves a lot to be desired.

Lot of work to be done on the defensive side of his game, let's hope he improves soon.

Lot of work to be done on the defensive side of his game, let's hope he improves soon.
I'm not sure its his defending that is the issue, its the way City/Pep expect the defenders to play, he's far from up to speed there, so lets give him the benefit of the doubt. I thought the whole defence was poor today, it seemed disjointed, I found it hard to see what formation it was meant to be, I concluded 4, but it wasn't easy.

I'm not sure its his defending that is the issue, its the way City/Pep expect the defenders to play, he's far from up to speed there, so lets give him the benefit of the doubt. I thought the whole defence was poor today, it seemed disjointed, I found it hard to see what formation it was meant to be, I concluded 4, but it wasn't easy.
Agree with you in that the defence as a unit (excluding Laporte) were poor and lacked cohesion.

No one, I repeat. No one can defend against Adama Traore. The only thing holding him back is his brainlessness. Not any defender.

So I wouldn't judge him by that

Let's not beat around the bush here - he's a terrible defender.

I think we're gonna be seeing a decent amount of rotation between him and Delph, depending on who we're playing.

His defending genuinely frightens me to be honest. I can't see Pep trusting him in the big games at all. I'm going to assume he played left winger throughout his youth career & only moved to fullback once he began his senior career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.