Benjamin Mendy

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're allowed the tangent here, I'm one of those people who concern themselves with fees. Doesn't have anything to do with any personal embarrassment I might feel about what we paid. Just concerned with the business side of things.

There is a finite amount of money to spend, even if it's a shitload of money. The larger one slice of the pie is, the smaller the other slices are going to be. It's also a business built on reputation, and that seems to compound itself. The more you get ripped off, the more likely you are to get ripped off in the future. So I get concerned (not to be confused with worried, just interested) with inflated fees when we pay them. But it's only because I think the club will be more successful in the future, with better players to show for it, the less we overpay.

All of this irrespective of Mendy. Looking forward to having a couple proper fullbacks next season in a big way.

Exactly my thoughts. If Walker was 40m, Mendy would have been done at the same price. They sold Bakayoko for 35m and Silva for 43m. Mendy is not more valuable than these two.

Exactly my thoughts. If Walker was 40m, Mendy would have been done at the same price. They sold Bakayoko for 35m and Silva for 43m. Mendy is not more valuable than these two.
On the other hand if we had been offered Silva and Mendy for the same price as one Lukaka at the start of the summer we'd have taken that, or I would.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

What's the point?

Benjamin Mendy is set for a medical this week after Manchester City and Monaco agreed a fee. [The Guardian]

If he signs this weekend, would it be worth sending him to the US for the Spurs, game or keep him at home to work on his fitness? Two days training to play once v two days travelling?

I think given the circumstances (our dire need for full backs), he is. Fair play to Monaco for getting the best possible deal, but I think the lad will be worth every penny, the power going down each flank now will be incredible.

one thing never changes on this thread - no page without "we overpaid" discussion. Guess it's less mentioned on arsenalmania and ragcafe.

His value is what he brings to City. And we don't have a left back.

If we're allowed the tangent here, I'm one of those people who concern themselves with fees. Doesn't have anything to do with any personal embarrassment I might feel about what we paid. Just concerned with the business side of things.

There is a finite amount of money to spend, even if it's a shitload of money. The larger one slice of the pie is, the smaller the other slices are going to be. It's also a business built on reputation, and that seems to compound itself. The more you get ripped off, the more likely you are to get ripped off in the future. So I get concerned (not to be confused with worried, just interested) with inflated fees when we pay them. But it's only because I think the club will be more successful in the future, with better players to show for it, the less we overpay.

All of this irrespective of Mendy. Looking forward to having a couple proper fullbacks next season in a big way.

I understand where you're coming from, mate. But there's no bigger spenders than Real Madrid. They just spent £50m on an 18 year old kid from Brazil. They paid £60m for a central midfielder from the Spanish league a couple of years back and I can't even remember his name and think he's played about 5 games for them.

Everybody sees Madrid coming when they come in for a player, they always over pay. They've also just won back to back Champions Leagues..

Unfortunately football has turned in to an arms race over the last few years, and it's the teams with the biggest budgets and best players that tend to be successful, particularly in the Champions League.

And you know which team has the reputation for being conservative in the market? Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.