"Best Job in the World" - Ian Cheeseman's book

BlueSpice said:
BTH said:
Having read the plodding affair that was Colin Bell - Reluctant Hero, I don't think I'll be troubling my Amazon account for this one...

It's your loss BTH, this is not at all plodding and very interesting. I don't do well with slow,heavy going books myself but this was very readable.

(Do you still do your trick with recognising what perfume a woman is wearing btw :P )

Haha, I'd forgotten about that. It's not really a trick; there's just a few I recognise. Musk wasn't it? Although having said that, I've no idea what my girlfriend wears, although she got a new one the other week!

It seems every man and his dog is writing a dog these days and of the City-related ones I have read, the majority have been shocking - due to the style, the number of mistakes or the inability to make relatively interesting stories actually sound interesting. Also, when I spend between £10 and £20 on a book I want something that has been professionally proofread and takes more than an afternoon or a couple of evenings to read.

I'll declare an interest here, but if you want to read a City-related book, buy anything with Mr Gary James' name on it. You can't go far wrong there.

BTH said:
BlueSpice said:
It's your loss BTH, this is not at all plodding and very interesting. I don't do well with slow,heavy going books myself but this was very readable.

(Do you still do your trick with recognising what perfume a woman is wearing btw :P )

Haha, I'd forgotten about that. It's not really a trick; there's just a few I recognise. Musk wasn't it? Although having said that, I've no idea what my girlfriend wears, although she got a new one the other week!

It seems every man and his dog is writing a dog these days and of the City-related ones I have read, the majority have been shocking - due to the style, the number of mistakes or the inability to make relatively interesting stories actually sound interesting. Also, when I spend between £10 and £20 on a book I want something that has been professionally proofread and takes more than an afternoon or a couple of evenings to read.

I'll declare an interest here, but if you want to read a City-related book, buy anything with Mr Gary James' name on it. You can't go far wrong there.
Noel,you're like the Hannable Lector of Whitefield with that sense of smell of your's.Whats with this girlfriend thing anyhow? Is me-Julie's back in your affections??

I've read most City books.

I've never been scared to be critical of the crap ones, and there are quite a few.

I thought this book was an easy, enjoyable Toilet read.

It isn't going to grip you for 6 hours until its finished, but it's good for dipping in and out of, and for recalling a very interesting season in our history.

He comes across as a nice fella with a great job which he doesn't take for granted.

Worth buying, for me

BTH said:

Crikey - I bow to the master! Was attempting to throw you with that comment thinking it would be something you used to do, and long fogotten. But you have the last laugh remembering that it was indeed Musk (by Alyssa Ashley )

However........back on track....(Sorry folks)....<br /><br />-- Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:47 am --<br /><br />
Didsbury Dave said:
I've read most City books.

I've never been scared to be critical of the crap ones, and there are quite a few.

I thought this book was an easy, enjoyable Toilet read.

It isn't going to grip you for 6 hours until its finished, but it's good for dipping in and out of, and for recalling a very interesting season in our history.

He comes across as a nice fella with a great job which he doesn't take for granted.

Worth buying, for me

Yes, I think this book has the advantage of appealing to newer fans as well as older since it covers a recent season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.