Best version of Linux for a newbie?

dukyblue

We are going to be using linux more and more at work so i've decided to install a version on my new laptop. Any advise on which is the most user friendly for someone making the switch from Windows? I've got Ubuntu and Linux Mint install disks so will have a play around with those, but any advise would be welcome.

dukyblue said:
We are going to be using linux more and more at work so i've decided to install a version on my new laptop. Any advise on which is the most user friendly for someone making the switch from Windows? I've got Ubuntu and Linux Mint install disks so will have a play around with those, but any advise would be welcome.

Ubuntu or Opensuse. I don't know about mint, haven't used it. But Ubuntu is the accepted most user friendly linux out there. Mint comes in close. Apperrantly its based on Ubuntu. I like opensuse more for some reason. This is a great site for your linux distributions : http://distrowatch.com/
With every linux having its own website forums and help/guides/tutorials. I would advise you on learning using the termnial.Will make live a lot easier. Not that its hard. I am no expert anyways, just been using linux for a few months.

dukyblue said:
Haven't tried it myself but Mint is supposed to be excellent for beginners. I use Kubuntu (KDE desktop) as I find the Gnome desktop used in Ubuntu too basic as well as being fucking ugly.

Thanks all, ive got both Mint and Ubuntu installed at the minute. Mint is very easy to navigate and is pretty similar in layout to windows, so this will do me fine until I get up to speed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.