Biggest amount of money ever staked/bet

$250,000 (lost)

was part of a 'James Bondesque' move to get a business deal, and I was playing backgammon against a guy with magnetic (loaded) dice.

I lost it playing on one of these: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbb-backgammon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.cbb-backgammon.com</a>

without the big 'gamble' he wasn't that interested in the deal, which involved his close family relative who was an elected official in a foreign gov't and an Austrian company who had technology used in Egypt.

thinking he'd won $250k off me he was all excited in me paying him 1/2 of this business that owned a country-wide territory license (the reality was the business hadn't made any money yet and I would have given him a chunk of it if we had made this co-operative agreement anyway) but the gamble on my part was getting him to accept the business in full payment of my 'debt'. The guy had links to organised crime and wasn't a particularly wholesome character.

on the winning side, I once paid my entire mortgage for the year playing poker over a weekend.

---

those that have read my postings on gambling before will be familiar with the aptitude test that I wrote (which is a bit of humour but a test of your gaming smarts and rates your approach) which goes into further details:-

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-professional-gambler-aptitude-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-profes ... itude-test</a>

I regularly put £100 on 'sure things' like Chelsea-Norwich, Zurich-bayern and normally win.

Couple of seasons ago put £110 on Chelsea to beat hull, drew 1-1 ffs.

Godfather said:
I regularly put £100 on 'sure things' like Chelsea-Norwich, Zurich-bayern and normally win.

Couple of seasons ago put £110 on Chelsea to beat hull, drew 1-1 ffs.

my biggest loss was a "sure thing" I put £150 on City to beat Burnley at CoMS a couple of years ago.
My best win was £1350 off a £2 stake playing online poker, I've also won £500 playing a live game when I played in the final of a local poker league after qualifying for nowt. I'm a crap gambler TBH my only profits come from poker.

Going back to the 2003 - 2004 season, the home derby match....my dad put £3 on City to win 4-1 and Fowler to score the first goal. The odds were 350-1. I recall watching it and being happy with just 3-1, but then going ballistic when we scored the 4th and hoping that we didn't have enough time to score a 5th :P

CheesySmoker said:
I think this would top pretty much any story

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGCdBsOIKYA[/youtube]

Brilliant - now he can go the shops and buy some of the $400,000 worth of stuff he sold on Ebay for $164,000.

A couple of years ago Sunderland were 1-0 up away to the scum, knowing that the scum always come back to win I put £50 on them as they were all over them, the equalised but conceded again straight away, I put another £50 on the scum. The bastards equalised last minute utter fluke own goal but there was no time for a winner, £100 down and didn't even get to see them lose for that. Every other fucking time I've thought about it (Villa, West Ham, even the CS) it's happened and I haven't bet.

Also got a £100 on Peterhead to win Division Three after Scottish 'expert' tipping it through the rafters but thats not looking too great either.

In fact I don't think I've ever won a bet where I've staked £50 or more.

Even when I was a student and a score was a lot of money my first ever bet as high as £20 was us to beat Leicester at home few seasons ago, would only have made £7 profit, we inexplicably lost 3-0

I generally bet smaller amounts and try and be up for the year from football alone. Last year when I first started betting I hit a £90 downswing with VictorChandler. Managed to finish the season only a few quid down though.

charliebigspuds said:
my biggest loss was a "sure thing" I put £150 on City to beat Burnley at CoMS a couple of years ago.
My best win was £1350 off a £2 stake playing online poker, I've also won £500 playing a live game when I played in the final of a local poker league after qualifying for nowt. I'm a crap gambler TBH my only profits come from poker.

What poker tournament was that £1350 win from?

My largest amount bet was £200 on a horse,
was about 30 years ago (more than a weeks wage then).
It won the photo finish at 11/10.
Was shitting myself,it took ages to confirm in those days.
Told myself then "never again".

Biggest win was last July at Glorious Goodwood,
£12,995.50 for a £27 stake.
4 winners @ 9/2,8/1,9/1 and 16/1.

Aguero is my king said:
I generally bet smaller amounts and try and be up for the year from football alone. Last year when I first started betting I hit a £90 downswing with VictorChandler. Managed to finish the season only a few quid down though.

charliebigspuds said:

What poker tournament was that £1350 win from?

at the end of last year Pokerstars were doing some good regional satellites to qualify for the end of week final, there was a qualifier every weekday night, I think it was a £1.10 buy in then rebuys for 1 hour and an add-on when the rebuy time was up. I only played one because I was bored one night, I bought in and took the add-on. You had to finish in the top 20% to qualify, there was 700 runners and I finished 12th winning about £16 and qualifying for the final. In the final there was 500 runners and I finished 4th. TBH I should have done better, when we got to the final table I was 2nd in chips, when we got down to the last four I was still 2nd in chips but I got unlucky vrs the short stack pushing preflop twice when I called and was in front, after those two hands I was the short stack and shoved pre-flop with JJ only to be called by the luck box who held KK.

When i was a young lad who had just started work i got y pack packet one thursday morning and lost the lot playing poker at lunchtime. I was distraught and worried what i was gonna tell my Ma when sje asked for her keep.

As i left work the old irish guy who had won all my money gave it me back and said "dont ever bet what you cant afford to lose" best advice ever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.