Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 15 - Reinvention & Renewal - threespires (pg 327)

Still not listened to much TTWS, apart from the album the last track on the recent playlist was from.

Will definitely have a listen when time allows.

I enjoy these playlists but there’s only so much time in the day. Listening to full albums based on selections here is difficult time wise once the album thread is factored in!

I joke about B&W's 'rule of 3', but I also kind of don't. If you notice a band intrigue you 3 times, I think that merits serious further exploration. I mean by all means do it in 1 if you have the time. But at 3 I feel for me it becomes a make time point.

I have only just decided this today.

I joke about B&W's 'rule of 3', but I also kind of don't.
It wasn't so much trying to make a rule of 3, but when I hear 3 separate songs from an artist I may or may not be familiar with, I felt I owed it to myself to check them out, and it turned out I had heard a few other Placebo tracks prior, which in a sense was reassuring. I will admit as I had posted prior I enjoyed more selections of theirs too after that proper listen.
If you notice a band intrigue you 3 times, I think that merits serious further exploration. I mean by all means do it in 1 if you have the time. But at 3 I feel for me it becomes a make time point.

I have only just decided this today.
And I think the key thing is "if you have the time". These tracks and albums will be around later on if inspired to do so. Lots of more important things going on in some cases, and I totally get that too.

It wasn't so much trying to make a rule of 3, but when I hear 3 separate songs from an artist I may or may not be familiar with, I felt I owed it to myself to check them out, and it turned out I had heard a few other Placebo tracks prior, which in a sense was reassuring. I will admit as I had posted prior I enjoyed more selections of theirs too after that proper listen.

And I think the key thing is "if you have the time". These tracks and albums will be around later on if inspired to do so. Lots of more important things going on in some cases, and I totally get that too.

I had a look at Spotify's playlist. Some of their bigger and more obvious choices, but for me there are better ones amongst their albums. It also seems weighted to their earlier stuff. I would give a couple albums a go.

Don't think I've heard back from @OB1, but not particularly worried.

Just in case he has something going on though @threespires are you able to jump in on short notice tomorrow if ob doesn't show by say 2ish?

Happy Easter and welcome to BST to my mates across the pond!

Today we're collectively back to a 5 hour offset from EDT, and hopefully the Spring ahead time change is treating everyone well. Big game in 1.5 hours, so I'll finish this during the undercard match.

The Big Winner
“Quittin' Time " – Zach Bryan
, on repeated listens this was it and had it all: vocals, fiddle, banjo, and guitar and all were powerful here

My top 6 other new tracks (not yet heard in some or no particular order):
  1. “Nothing Ever Happens” – Del Amitri. I'm with Rob, love the accordion on this too. Anything that has "Angry from Manchester" and American businessmen references works
  2. "Captured By The Moment" - Steve Perry, I had only heard the big single from this solo album
  3. “Time It's Time” – Talk Talk, this band getting a proper listen to this week on my eclipse road trip
  4. "The Bitter End" - Placebo, which after their proper listen, made me enjoy "Twenty Years", which would have been another good song for this playlist
  5. "11:59" - Blondie, always nice hearing a song from an artist I knew, just not this song
  6. "See You Next Fall" - All Them Witches, I had to do a double take to make sure I was still on the playlist when this began. A for effort and uniqueness!
Best of a song I knew:
“In The Year 2525" – Zager & Evans
, an oldie but a goodie, and enjoyed the lyrics more than I had remembered

Top 5 tracks I knew but enjoyed listening to again (in some or no particular order):
  1. "Time Stand Still" - Rush, well, of course for me
  2. "Closing Time" - Dan Wilson, really enjoyed this, knew the song, just not this version
  3. "Stealin' Time" - Gerry Rafferty, can't go wrong with Gerry's City to City
  4. "I.G.Y" - Donald Fagen, a song that references '76 in the future while being in the past is something I had missed. Pretty cool it precedes "'74-'75" on the playlist
  5. "Ticket Time" - Whiskeytown, another famous band formed in Raleigh

Another great playlist, but this time there were a lot more songs I knew than on previous ones.

The big door prize
John Prine I’m sure I should’ve heard this before but I’ve not really listened to his last album, great closer for the playlist .

Others I like but wasn’t aware of
Future islands great vocals and not too much synth
My Morning Jacket very familiar with the band but not this track
Dan Wilson I obviously know the song but not heard this version which is great
Grant Lee Buffalo not got this album

Ones I know and really like
Toad The Wet Sprocket
Pink Floyd
Matchbox Twenty loved this album when it came out great debut sadly it was downhill from there.
Tom Petty classic TPATHB track
Del Amitri not listened to this album for years
Donald Fagan love all his solo stuff

The new playlist theme is slide guitar. So any tracks that feature some great slide work, it can be short and sweet or truly epic.

My opening five start with a gentle piece from one of the acknowledged masters of the art Ry Cooder and his theme from the movie Southern Comfort. The slide work isn’t extensive, but it is easily recognisable as one of Ry’s wonderfully atmospheric compositions.

Our journey continues with a “Slow Ride” in the company of Foghat. A British band who got little recognition in their homeland but were a popular concert attraction in the U.S. and this track just made the top 20 there as a single.

My third selection is the ZZ Top classic “Tush”. A short punchy tack with a great riff and some outstanding slide solos from Billy Gibbons.

I had to include something from my favourite slide player Joe Walsh and again focused on the solo, although Walsh’s slide work features throughout the Eagles track “Victim of Love”.

The only way I could round things off was with the Led Zeppelin behemoth that is “In My Time of Dying”. Having reviewed Physical Graffiti, I have gone with the live version from “Celebration Day”, where Jason Bonham can’t quite match the astonishing performance on drums of his father but has a bloody good go. Jimmy Page however gets to showcase his astonishingly good slide work – truly epic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.