Bluemoon Angling Thread

I think it is about locating the fish. As I was saying a couple of weeks ago, the barbel were very spooky even on water that hadn't been hammered. If you found where they were holed up, however, they were ravenous and fed all day to the point where it was all a bit samey.

Good call by you, though, trying something a bit different and a bit more effort than sitting behind a legered pellet.

Off to Ireland next week and also praying for a bit of rain. Not too much though.
No,just enough to colour it up a bit and get some oxygen back in,thats plenty!

Out of interest,has anyone fished the Wear? I was up at Durham yesterday dropping my daughter at uni and it looks a cracking river!

Its certainly tough going at the moment with water levels so low,but the rewards are there if you persevere.Ive never had two takes at once although i imagine with Barbel shoaling up,it can be quite common,at least they had the decency to wait till one was netted!

It isn't uncommon on The Ribble as "pods" of fish move through your swim. If it happens when you are playing a fish usually you can leave the other rod because after its initial run the barbel will often just sit in the current waiting for you to pick your rod up and put the pressure on. In retrospect this time I should have unhooked the first one and left it in the net before picking up the second rod because the two lines ended up tangled up to buggery . Normally I would have done this and let the first one go but @I really wanted to weigh it as I thought it might be a double.

I am planning to return to barbel fishing for the first time in sept/Oct this year. Probably on the river wye. Does anyone have advice on best fisheries/ tactics and places to stay?

I am planning to return to barbel fishing for the first time in sept/Oct this year. Probably on the river wye. Does anyone have advice on best fisheries/ tactics and places to stay?

Most of my fishing is on the Middle Wye. Check out the Wye & Usk fishing passport. It's expensive (£23 a day) but the number of rods allowed is very limited so a) the fish aren't pressured and b) you have plenty of river to choose from. You will catch from virtually any of their middle Wye stretches but numbers will depend on conditions

September/October is very popular though so choice may be a bit limited. We caught a lot of fish from the "How Caple" beat last October and booked it late so that may be worth a try. There is plenty of accomodation in and around Ross and at varying costs. We always go for luxury because my mate is a dentist and loaded.

Straightforward feeder tactics are easiest with a 14m pellet on hair rig usually a winner. A lot of the videos suggest all sorts of PVA bags etc but, if the fish are there, they aren't hard to catch.

Most of my fishing is on the Middle Wye. Check out the Wye & Usk fishing passport. It's expensive (£23 a day) but the number of rods allowed is very limited so a) the fish aren't pressured and b) you have plenty of river to choose from. You will catch from virtually any of their middle Wye stretches but numbers will depend on conditions

September/October is very popular though so choice may be a bit limited. We caught a lot of fish from the "How Caple" beat last October and booked it late so that may be worth a try. There is plenty of accomodation in and around Ross and at varying costs. We always go for luxury because my mate is a dentist and loaded.

Straightforward feeder tactics are easiest with a 14m pellet on hair rig usually a winner. A lot of the videos suggest all sorts of PVA bags etc but, if the fish are there, they aren't hard to catch.
Thanks mate v helpful. Have never used a feeder or a hair rig in my life. Or a pellet. When I last fished for Barbel it was with a swing tip, arsley bomb and luncheon meat! Will have to check out YouTube. Any recommendations on good self catering? Mrs s will be with me so it will have to be luxury!

The Why at Ross is excellent mate, and the average Barbel size is 6lb+. Fish in the town centre and I think it's still about £5 a day ticket. (Ross AC iirc) There are 2-3 pegs directly behind the hope & Anchor pub free of charge, and I've caught barbel 10lb+ on this stretch of river.

The Wye isn't too popular nowadays due to the ease of catching 100lb catches on nearby commercial waters. Those places aren't for me but each to their own.

Look for the pegs that have had recently been fished, and also read the features in the river. A spade and saw helps to cut out a peg that is overgrown. This is allowed as long as you don't sabotage the bank and foliage.

There are some huge chub in the river, but in my experience fishing on there, they are wary of hair rigged halibut pellets. Luncheon meat with buried hook is the best approach for the big wily specimens in there, some go 8lb plus I'm told, but I've not caught many as I target the Barbel on open end pellet feeder plugged with a fishmeal groundbait. Tackle I use is either a 1 .75- 2lb TC rod. Reels I use are Shimano 6000's loaded with 13lb Fox camo soft steel mono. Sometimes straight through to hook is ok, otherwise when fish are finicky I use 10lb flouro carbon hook link. Hooks depend on how confident fish are feeding. I usually start with a 2.5 to 3 ft hooklenth, this IMO is the optimum length with normal river flow.

There are also a few lean hard fighting carp to be caught. My mate had a brace of 14 and 16lb, although I haven't landed one so far.

The white house B&B is good(100m walk to bank), reasonably priced and hearty breakfasts too.

Hope this helps. Good luck and tight lines.

I was fishing the Wye the day ADUG bought us out. Listening to talk shite on my radio. Gob smacked was not the word, especially when we signed Robinho from the clutches of Chelsea; )

Last edited:
The Why at Ross is excellent mate, and the average Barbel size is 6lb+. Fish in the town centre and I think it's still about £5 a day ticket. (Ross AC iirc) There are 2-3 pegs directly behind the hope & Anchor pub free of charge, and I've caught barbel 10lb+ on this stretch of river.

The Wye isn't too popular nowadays due to the ease of catching 100lb catches on nearby commercial waters. Those places aren't for me but each to their own.

Look for the pegs that have had recently been fished, and also read the features in the river. A spade and saw helps to cut out a peg that is overgrown. This is allowed as long as you don't sabotage the bank and foliage.

There are some huge chub in the river, but in my experience fishing on there, they are wary of hair rigged halibut pellets. Luncheon meat with buried hook is the best approach for the big wily specimens in there, some go 8lb plus I'm told, but I've not caught many as I target the Barbel on open end pellet feeder plugged with a fishmeal groundbait. Tackle I use is either a 1 .75- 2lb TC rod. Reels I use are Shimano 6000's loaded with 13lb Fox camo soft steel mono. Sometimes straight through to hook is ok, otherwise when fish are finicky I use 10lb flouro carbon hook link. Hooks depend on how confident fish are feeding. I usually start with a 2.5 to 3 ft hooklenth, this IMO is the optimum length with normal river flow.

There are also a few lean hard fighting carp to be caught. My mate had a brace of 14 and 16lb, although I haven't landed one so far.

The white house B&B is good(100m walk to bank), reasonably priced and hearty breakfasts too.

Hope this helps. Good luck and tight lines.

I was fishing the Wye the day ADUG bought us out. Listening to talk shite on my radio. Gob smacked was not the word, especially when we signed Robinho from the clutches of Chelsea; )
Thats so helpful mate, thanks for taking the time. Will let you know how I get on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.