Bobby Robson loses battle with cancer

scall1 said:
I met him a few years ago at an Academy fundraising dinner at COMS.

I had my picture with him before the meal. As we stood together, at the crucial moment before the photographer took the picture, he leaned in towards me to make us appear that much closer on the photo. A little gesture, but proved a point to me - that he was a great man, a true gent, and a legend.

In fact I remember another time when I was at the Riverside when City were playing there. I found myself in reception waiting for someone and looked outside, and Bobby was coming in. Even though he was manager of Newcastle at the time, and was at Middlesbrough, people were getting his autograph as he came in. He walked into reception, I smiled at him, he smiled back and said "hello" in a genuine sort of way, not just a casual greeating. All the staff at Middlesbrough greeted him like he was a Boro manager. All saying "hello Bobby" and the rest of it. I was shocked at how friendly they were to him, and he to them. Proves that he was a genuine gentleman.

Compare that to when Ferguson has come to our place, he barely gets aknowledgement of his presence!

Back in the seventies me and my mate hitched it to Ipswich who were a top side then, we must have been about 17 at the time.
Anyway we got there quite early and stood outside the players entrance when Bobby Robson walked past and asked us if we were going to win today thinking we supported Ipswich, we replied "yeah City are gonna do it" or something like that. He then stopped, surprised we had travelled so far at that age, spent a couple of minutes chatting with us and admiring our support! Always stuck with me that so very sad at the news today.

R.I.P Bobby a true gentleman.

Really sad news. I met him on a couple of occasions and he was a lovely bloke. Some people in the game will never be forgotten and he is one of them. RIP.

A man of decency, integrity and knowledge of a game he graced and loved. RIP Sir Bobby - a football Knight who acted like one.

What can i say that hasn't already been said?

Sir Bobby was synonymous with the dignity of English football.

He'll be missed.

Rest In Peace Sir Bobby

A football great and a great man.

I started reading this thread today at work and had to stop after about 4 pages because I was filling up.

I've now read the entire thread, I've watched the videos and I am crying.

Just goes to show what a special, respected man he was - the applause at the start of the video when he received his lifetime award from the BBC says it all.....

I can't get to the match Saturday to see City at Barnsley, but I am going to Portman Road (I live in Norwich so its only about 40 miles away) and I'm going to pay my own personal respect to Sir Bobby Robson.

If, anyone is interested, I'll post a couple of pictures, that I intend to take, of the tributes that people have surely paid to him.

Bobby Robson, by a million miles, is my favourite EVER non-City football associate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.