Boundaries between co-workers

Vialli98

Team supported
Chelsea
I have a question, mainly for the females in here, but would love answers from everyone.

So today as I was leaving the office, I went to say goodbye to a female co-worker who sits directly behind me. I put my hands on both of her shoulders for about 3 to 5 seconds to say bye and then I walked out. I'm not friends with her, nor do I know her very well, we just work in close proximity every day. I felt quite guilty on my way home as I felt I may have invaded her privacy and overstepped co-worker boundaries. I say goodbye to her everyday without using my hands, not really sure why today was different. She didn't react negatively to it. She just said see you tomorrow, as usual.

Was it inappropriate? Or am I just making a mountain out of a molehill.

I think it depends on how long you've known her. Difficult to say if it was inappropriate. It depends on the person really. I wouldn't worry to much about it. A lot of the time you'll do something then later worry about whether you were in the wrong. I'd say don't do it again, and if she or her boss says anything which is unlikely, then accept it, offer your sincere apologies and move on.

I have a question, mainly for the females in here, but would love answers from everyone.

So today as I was leaving the office, I went to say goodbye to a female co-worker who sits directly behind me. I put my hands on both of her shoulders for about 3 to 5 seconds to say bye and then I walked out. I'm not friends with her, nor do I know her very well, we just work in close proximity every day. I felt quite guilty on my way home as I felt I may have invaded her privacy and overstepped co-worker boundaries. I say goodbye to her everyday without using my hands, not really sure why today was different. She didn't react negatively to it. She just said see you tomorrow, as usual.

Was it inappropriate? Or am I just making a mountain out of a molehill.
Yep. Inappropriate.
(Pictures btw)

I think it depends on how long you've known her. Difficult to say if it was inappropriate. It depends on the person really. I wouldn't worry to much about it. A lot of the time you'll do something then later worry about whether you were in the wrong. I'd say don't do it again, and if she or her boss says anything which is unlikely, then accept it, offer your sincere apologies and move on.

I've been with this company about 5 months. I rarely speak to her unless it's work related. She isn't really the chatty type. I just thought that if I felt like it may have been inappropriate, she may have felt like that too. Her boss is also my boss, and she once put a complaint in that he (our boss) had said something inappropriate to her, so guess she could theoretically complain about this too, hence why I thought I should nip it in the bud tomorrow and apologise. Otherwise I'll be wondering the rest of week if I'll get called in by HR.

Depends on what boundries you have with her as a co worker or person in general.

I work with mainly women, some I have known for years and are considered friends will hug me at times, some who are longtime co workers who will are comfortable with contact and some who prefer you out of thier personal space.

If you just normally let on, she may think you overstepped the mark sure you will find out if she's uncomfortable/annoyed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.