Breaking records/stats thread

I can’t actually believe it’s a debate when the club, the papers and our historian are all saying it’s a win.

Where do United show it as a win? I can only find a reference to Ferguson winning 110 European cup games which doesnt include the moscow final?

http://www.mufcinfo.com/manupag/managers/mangers_pages/ferguson_alex.html

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22450901
At the time he recorded his 100th (or 99th depending on your view) Euro win http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-should-a-penalty-shoot-out-victory-be-viewed.

There's no point debating this any more - for sequences a win is a win no matter what the method is to select the win. The BBC, SKY, City and the FL see it as a win and an increase in City's consecutive record. The IFAB sit above FIFA and say a penalty shoot out determines the winner of a match (note not they do not refer to it as a tie - a two legged tie could be probably be debated) that has to have a winner. I'm not bothered either way but the precedents are there, the rules are there and those that do matter - City, the FL, IFAB etc. have a clear view. I'm just a statistician who is happy to record it properly, not a judge. In years gone by the Association of Football Statisticians would make their views known on this. I was a life member (who outlived the organisation) and debates like this would happen often before a consensus was reached. But one thing that was always clear was that one-off games decided by penalties were always won by a team and lost by one and therefore included in sequences. Thanks.

As far as I can see all the records that count will now state our record winning run is at 12 games, so if some posters on a forum dont agree that's up to them, doesn't mean anything though .
Yep has to be that way too or the history books for all Cup competitions would be a mess to read.

This was a knockout game... you can't draw those, we won so the winning streak still stands. Even if you wanted to be that picky, to be unbeaten for this long is still significant.

Also lets be fair it's not a major competition anyway, our record for the league is what matters and the CL individually if we can.

I can’t understand why people are so adamant that we didn’t win. We won on pens.

Imagine if certain people within football had got their way and an ‘extra’ period replaced penalties; and City scored in that extra period...would that not be a win? The penalty shootout is just an extension of extra time.

I think that, as much as is possible, puts the matter to bed.

At the time he recorded his 100th (or 99th depending on your view) Euro win http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-should-a-penalty-shoot-out-victory-be-viewed.

There's no point debating this any more - for sequences a win is a win no matter what the method is to select the win. The BBC, SKY, City and the FL see it as a win and an increase in City's consecutive record. The IFAB sit above FIFA and say a penalty shoot out determines the winner of a match (note not they do not refer to it as a tie - a two legged tie could be probably be debated) that has to have a winner. I'm not bothered either way but the precedents are there, the rules are there and those that do matter - City, the FL, IFAB etc. have a clear view. I'm just a statistician who is happy to record it properly, not a judge. In years gone by the Association of Football Statisticians would make their views known on this. I was a life member (who outlived the organisation) and debates like this would happen often before a consensus was reached. But one thing that was always clear was that one-off games decided by penalties were always won by a team and lost by one and therefore included in sequences. Thanks.

I can’t understand why people are so adamant that we didn’t win. We won on pens.

Imagine if certain people within football had got their way and an ‘extra’ period replaced penalties; and City scored in that extra period...would that not be a win? The penalty shootout is just an extension of extra time.
I'm more baffled at some of the reactions to simply not being on our game for one match, it's ridiculous when you think about that attitude some have(win all the time or we are instantly in crisis). It was also less about what Wolves did (as well as they defended), we weren't able to play our normal game, that needs all parts working together.

You already know what the reaction to our first loss is going to be. They need to prepare themselves and come back down to earth, we will take a loss sooner or later, we can still consider our start to the season brilliant when that time comes and quickly get over it.

Last edited:

But the BBC clearly don't include the moscow game on Ferguson's European wins as per the previous link. I can't find any links that do include it as a win? Yet you say this is the precedent?

IFAB also state that penalties take place "after a match has ended". So in last night's case according to IFAB the match ended 0-0.

But the BBC clearly don't include the moscow game on Ferguson's European wins as per the previous link. I can't find any links that do include it as a win? Yet you say this is the precedent?

IFAB also state that penalties take place "after a match has ended". So in last night's case according to IFAB the match ended 0-0.
When all the official records seem say its a win, why are you so desperate for it not to be recorded as a win?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.