Breaking records/stats thread

a win is a win is a win
no matter what part of the game (or games) or how the win/lose decision is made
even if we'd got the point of coin tossing (how many penalties does it take to get to that - I know its gone to about 30 recently) - the team that progress to the next round, or gets 3pts, or takes the trophy - is the team that WON. End of.

Because I like stats, the club nor sky are an official source. Gary is effectively the official source and who the club will have checked with before going to press, he has stated the precedent is united claiming the moscow final as a win yet their doesn't seem to be a record of that in fact quite the opposite bbc has it in their stats as a draw as so does the united stats site. Gary then said IFAB is the overall body yet they say penalties take place after a match ends.

I'm quite happy to claim a win but all the facts point to it being a draw for stats purposes.
Actually, I'm not an official source. I'm not employed by MCFC (or anyone at the moment actually) but MCFC are the official source in this case. It is City's club record and therefore they decide what is and isn't an acceptable record for the club. Please take it up with those who decide, not me. Thanks

(Note: if it becomes a national record then the FA - and ultimately IFAB if it escalates - will decide, not me, City, Sky, BBC, Opta, the local bookie or anyone else. This is a winning sequence record, and in the simplest of terms that game had to have a winner, the team that scored most in the penalty shoot out was the winning team, so why is it so hard to accept that a winning sequence has continued? If the FL are happy to say City won the game and City say their sequence continues then I'm happy to agree with them both as it is a club record, not a Fred Done record or anyone else for that matter).

Last edited:
Does this mean Liverpool didn’t win the champions league in 2005 and united in 2008?

Actually, I'm not an official source. I'm not employed by MCFC (or anyone at the moment actually) but MCFC are the official source in this case. It is City's club record and therefore they decide what is and isn't an acceptable record for the club. Please take it up with those who decide, not me. Thanks

Out of interest, what's your opinion Gary?

:)

IMO we drew the match and won the tie.
Utd won the Champions league against Chelsea because they won the tie after a penalty shoot out.

Last edited:
Out of interest, what's your opinion Gary?

:)
Only at City would we argue about a winning sequence. It's taken us years to get into positions like this and we now downplay them. Ah well - anyone want to know the dilemma about the record sequence without a defeat in all competitions - now that is something that needs some focus ;-)

If the sequence of games was unbeaten rather than consecutive wins, and Wolves had won the penalty shootout. Would anyone argue that we were still unbeaten?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.