Brighton (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

One thing I noticed last night, and maybe a tip for young kids wanting a player's shirt postmatch.

Don't bother with a handwritten note on a piece of card. Just wave a Croatian flag and it virtually guarantees Gvardiol or Kovacic making an effort.
Exactly the same thing happened at Bayer Leverkusen v Molde (the day after our game in Belgrade)

A young lad waves his flag and Leverkusen's Croatian defender duly obliges.
Or Kova’s shorts - like a few years ago!

They do always seem to give away their shirts. I wonder if that connection to the fans is one of those things that makes them (as a small country) overachieve.

Brighton had a teenage debutant last night (Barco) - what a baptism of fire for him against the world's best side. Good to see Pep making a beeline for him after the match to congratulate him on his performance. The guy was completely overawed and really made up.
that lad is going to be a big player. Great technique and touch, had a good game in tough circumstances.

Brighton are a very good footballing team and I thought this would be a stiff test. I know Pep has been warning about the unreasonable demands made on players by the number of games and the lack of recuperation time between them. On Saturday I thought a City eleven performed heroically although near exhaustion and I was concerned about the lasting effects of the semi, especially as the Guardian yesterday reduced us all to tears (of?!) by telling us how exhaustion was costing Liverpool a quadruple and Klopp the farewell he deserved. But what a transformation after 5 days rest and what a display. Great stuff lads.

Professional performance again, no showboating, no parades after the match, just celebrating a match well won. Brighton were a yard off it but we were very, very good. Love to see the pressing and the rotation of the forward line to suit the pattern of play, it seems much more natural to our squad.

Very good away end and a nice few beers before the game. I like Brighton away, just a shame it’s so fucking far.

Another tough one on Sunday.

Up the blues!

I'm not sure how fluid we would have looked if Brighton had packed the penalty box and not shown any interest in trying to attack like 9 out of 10 teams we play nowadays.
The teams that pack the box are the difficult games at this stage.
Fortunately the players are better at keeping their composure and patience than us.
I wonder how Spurs are going to go about it.

We looked like we could go up a few more levels if Brighton had scored. That was most enjoyable part of the game.

I'm not sure how fluid we would have looked if Brighton had packed the penalty box and not shown any interest in trying to attack like 9 out of 10 teams we play nowadays.
True, and Haaland literally makes two defenders stay close...and defend deep. Haaland being marked on the halfway line, any ball over the top Haaland wins that race and he is unbelievably good at 1 v1 's when running towards goal. Play him and we are faced with teams encamped on 18yard line and as we are pretty poor at times defending counters it leaves us vulnerable at the back as well. So to me the answer has always been...either get better organised at the back with Ederson 40 yards up maybe as a sweeper, or b): don't play a traditional C.F.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.