British bands that went 'American'

Are Fleetwood Mac still an entirely British outfit? I'll have to confess to having a bit of a blind spot to their history. Obviously, the early stuff, with the sublime guitar play (Peter Green) was, like somebody said of the Stones earlier, heavily influenced by the Blues but then, it's like a second, differently orientated band emerged who just happened to have the same name. That second outfit was/is (are they even still going?) very much an American pop band.
Don't know if that constitutes 'going American' or not, though.

The best acts transcend boundaries, though. I was in New York when Dusty Springfield died and there was locals at the bar I was in who couldn't believe that she was British. The OP took U2 (a band that just leave me cold, I must say but they seem to have something I just can't hear) for a British outfit and was quickly corrected but half of them were actually born in Britain. Clapton, Adele, Tom Jones, Van the Man, Joe Cocker, they could all be from anywhere. Possibly because the music is so universal?

Lucky Toma said:
idahoblues said:
Bad Company
Led Zep

How could these bands have possibly gone `American'....oh let's think, bigger venues, more money, the chance to live `the dream'

The OP makes it sound as though these bands have given up their identity to become just another americanised piece of shit, money only commercial success. Let's look at a few American that have influenced rock/punk

New York Dolls
Ramones
Rage against the machine
Soundgarden
Nirvhana
White Zombie
The Doors
Metallica
Red Hot Chili peppers
Beastie boys
Dead kennedys
Guns`n' roses
Talking Heads
Devo
Slayer
Dickies
Blink 182
Offsprings
Pantera
Megadeth
Alice in Chains
Jimi Hendrix
Tool
how about `Blondie'

`American music is OK with me

Bit touchy aren't you mate.

Simply meant British bands who have been seduced by your vast landscape and culture and incorporated a bit of alt-country or a bluesy sound into their music whilst name-checking American landmarks in their lyrics.

Wasn't intended as a negative in the slightest!

Yeah...sorry mate. I read my post this morning and thought I'm such a fuckin' dick. Had a shot or two of Jack last night which is never pretty. Anyway better stick to beer tonight...cheers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.