Building computers

adrianr

Anyone else into it? Haven't built myself a PC in years but I've just bit the bullet and took delivery this morning of some shiny components to upgrade my ageing Q6600 tower. Like a kid in a sweet shop! Nice little project for the bank holiday weekend as I'm hoping to get OSX onto it as well. Almost hoping the shit weather holds up.

adrianr said:
Anyone else into it? Haven't built myself a PC in years but I've just bit the bullet and took delivery this morning of some shiny components to upgrade my ageing Q6600 tower. Like a kid in a sweet shop! Nice little project for the bank holiday weekend as I'm hoping to get OSX onto it as well. Almost hoping the shit weather holds up.

Where's TCIB when you need him

adrianr said:

I built my around 18 months ago its the best PC i've ever had by a long long way.

If you've not used one before SSD are bleeding brilliant for running your operating system on. All the pissing about when loading the OS is done in a fraction of the time.

Gonna build a new rig soon myself. 2 x 128GB SSD for master with hourly backup for critical folders to home network storage server.
Raid0 all the way baby, never lost a system with it yet either.
No idea what else im gonna put in it yet, half the fun is research.

Challenger1978 said:
adrianr said:

I built my around 18 months ago its the best PC i've ever had by a long long way.

If you've not used one before SSD are bleeding brilliant for running your operating system on. All the pissing about when loading the OS is done in a fraction of the time.

An ssd was one of the things that gave my old system a new lease of life. Was about £130 iirc for a 64gb drive but such a great upgrade. Have a 250gb Samsung 840 Evo going in this :)

adrianr said:
Challenger1978 said:
adrianr said:

An ssd was one of the things that gave my old system a new lease of life. Was about £130 iirc for a 64gb drive but such a great upgrade. Have a 250gb Samsung 840 Evo going in this :)

Nice.

TCIB said:
Gonna build a new rig soon myself. 2 x 128GB SSD for master with hourly backup for critical folders to home network storage server.
Raid0 all the way baby, never lost a system with it yet either.
No idea what else im gonna put in it yet, half the fun is research.

Absolutely. Like I say, been ages since I last built one but getting back up to speed with all the new gear is great fun.

How much would it be to build a pc capable of internet browsing, games such as command & conquer, football manager, playing dvds and music cd's?

I don't need it for work purposes, except invoices, and really simple stuff, emails etc.

If anyone can shine a light, and tell me what equipment I would need, feel free to PM me, thanks

Bilboblue said:
How much would it be to build a pc capable of internet browsing, games such as command & conquer, football manager, playing dvds and music cd's?

I don't need it for work purposes, except invoices, and really simple stuff, emails etc.

If anyone can shine a light, and tell me what equipment I would need, feel free to PM me, thanks

Wouldn't be a lot, they're very low requirements (Unless C&C released something more recent than 2008!). An Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix may even be sufficient if you don't need a lot of storage and/or too much longevity.

Just put a new power supply in mine. The old one sounded like a Typhoon Eurofighter taking off. The new one is one of those modular jobbies, which means it's slightly more complicated than the older one, at least for someone as incompetent as me.
I've managed to get it all working apart from the exterior fan and the LED temp read out. The CPU fan works and so does everything else, so for the time being I've left the side off the case. I can never remember what I've unplugged and where it's supposed to plug back in.
Next time TCIB comes round I'll ambush him into fixing it, I'm sure he won't mind, I'll tell him it's for the mrs. For some unfathomable reason he seems to like her.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.