Burnley (A) Post Match Thread

Totally disagree - Gundogan looked calm in possession, played at least half a dozen passes directly into the stride of a teammate and was the one midfielder constantly arriving in the box late. Unlucky not to score - only gripe is he should have taken a left footed shot twice when trying to shift to his right which gave defenders time to block. Not the reason we didn't win - wasteful forwards today. Having said that, maybe it was a good thing as it will remind the squad that games need putting to bed, with the tougher games ahead Pep will make sure we are more ruthless.
Agree with this

People blaming starling for us not winning are out of order imo.
At no point did I say Sterling's miss is why we didn't win. I criticised the miss as it was so bad. Other than that, my overview was very positive, frustrated at the missed chances but upbeat about the bigger picture. No hysterics from me.
I hope your gonna get hammered for your spelling of Sterling, worse than mine!

KDB, Fernandinho, Danilo, Otamendi and Ederson are the only ones you can say had a good game.

Walker was fine but for losing his man for the goal.

Kompany had a few rather dodgy moments that we got away with.

Its perhaps harsh to say Gundogan was poor but he just coasted through as he has done too frequently this season, he's not making an impact in games and is happy to just keep it tidy. That's simply not enough in the position he's playing though.

We all know Sterling on the left doesn't work, his inability to use his left foot at all means we lose the run in behind as he will always check back to his right, and with Sane out too that leaves the defenders with nothing to worry about behind them. Pep has to know this and unless he changes it I think we will struggle to break teams down until reinforcements are back from injury.

Bernardo was busy but all too easily kept under check as he's completely one footed too. And was just shown down the line all game.

and finally Aguero looked fatigued from the start, can't be overly critical of him as that forward role is often about occupying defenders for other people to have space more than actually being involved and our lack of runners in behind and slow build up meant we fed him very little all game.

Not concerned about this result it matters very little and we played well enough to win but I'd be concerned going into the big games we've got over the next month or so as without runners in behind to provide the penetration or a slightly different approach we will find it more difficult to break teams down. Expect Pep will be busy on the training pitch this week,

Probably would have left with nothing if not for Eddie. We dominated the ball but time and time again they were causing us trouble with the long ball and they defended really well.

Today was probably the first game where our substitution options looked limited, and we definitely struggled, once Burnley started to adopt a more adventurous approach.

Diaz might be a promising player, but at that precise moment, we needed a solid disciplined midfielder to replace Sterling, rather than a lightweight youngster who was trying too hard to impress.

The Sterling chance should have killed the game, but there were other opportunities when Bernardo, Aguero, and KDB, all chose the wrong option.

However, I've had worse seasons.

Good grief...he was taken off because he was utter pish, like he was at Liverpool a few weeks ago. Did Kun miss two open goals, one from about a foot out? What's with all this shit with poor little darling Rahim, poor little diddums...don't let all those nasty men and their loud shouting upset you.
"brilliantly incisive" from Neville which got to Sterling?...For goodness sake, if his confidence is so fragile that it can be upset by a prematch fun chat with a pundit then he shouldn't be anywhere near our 1st team.

You are over reacting there out of context and not reading the thread.

Neville did a pre match one to one with Sterling and focused on him playing on the wrong wing and his new found scoring ability and egged him on to say how many would he score.

I did not say it WAS brilliantly incisive but an ex United player quizzing him on his scoring ability just before that miss will get into his head. It would with anyone. You could see how he reacted banging the ground. It effected him badly.

Confidence is a huge part of his improved game and Pep has helped him gain that. So any knocks are going to be a problem. I believe he needed that last 20 minutes to try to make amends. Had he done so he would be flying. As it is he needs that next goal now to get this miss out of his head.

Thats why I would have kept him on as we have too few forwards at present and we need them all mentally buzzing. Not still thinking about their last miss for which they were hauled off the pitch.

At no point did I say Sterling's miss is why we didn't win. I criticised the miss as it was so bad. Other than that, my overview was very positive, frustrated at the missed chances but upbeat about the bigger picture. No hysterics from me.
I hope your gonna get hammered for your spelling of Sterling, worse than mine!

I wasn't having a go re you blaming Styrling.
:)

But it did do us harm today, his movement is good but he’s not reliable in front of goal. I think long term we should use him as a squad player and look for an elite wide player in the same class as silva/KDB.
Someone who could score 20 in a season you think?

Like Mane?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.