Can i politely ask why the 'ethnic slurs' thread was deleted

InvisibleMan

Excuse my ignorance but it was hardly offensive, contained no malice (or underlying malice) and contained no actual racism.

I think the thread was pathetic, myself and I, for one, fully applaud the deletion decision.

We ahve a mixed board of many diversities now, much more than ever. It doesn't need dragging down, by the likes of yourself, in order to have an excuse for Race bashing. "Oh, it was in humour"/ "PC jobsworth can't take a joke"... you might say. No, it's time we closed the door on such 'humour'. I don't care if it's meant to be all encompassing. That point of view is truly a guise for an agenda.

Glad it's gone.

Bigga said:
I think the thread was pathetic, myself and I, for one, fully applaud the deletion decision.

We ahve a mixed board of many diversities now, much more than ever. It doesn't need dragging down, by the likes of yourself, in order to have an excuse for Race bashing. "Oh, it was in humour"/ "PC jobsworth can't take a joke"... you might say. No, it's time we closed the door on such 'humour'. I don't care if it's meant to be all encompassing. That point of view is truly a guise for an agenda.

Glad it's gone.

Yourself and you for one should chill the fuck out, mate. And stop putting repiles into my mouth. It was nothing like a 'race bashing' thread and anyone who thinks it was needs to have a serious word with themselves and stop lobbing one out over any and every oppurtunity to educate.

I'm guessing it's becasue you listed a number of Racial Slurs, which some may find offensive and then asked which the funniest were?

Not putting my opinion in this thread but surely even the bluntest of knives can understand why the thread was removed?

GStar said:
I'm guessing it's becasue you listed a number of Racial Slurs, which some may find offensive and then asked which the funniest were?

Not putting my opinion in this thread but surely even the bluntest of knives can understand why the thread was removed?

Yeah but this guy comes accross as more of a spoon tbh.

Just seemed like a bit of a pointless thread to me, posted purely to be controversial. I'm sure you'll argue it was a Lenny Bruce style discussion about the semantics of the slurs listed, but I suspect you knew it'd be removed and give you an opportunity to complain about excessive censorship, political correctness gone mad blah blah.

Thought it might be slighty controversial, yes. But thought that might make for an interesting thread. It was after thinking, or wondering, why we are ok with certain ethnic slurs and even laugh at them...but others we are offended by; possibly more the result of an instant reaction due to social conditioning rather than taking real offense.

The reaction to the thread seems to highlight this. I'm not trying to test anyones patience and i'm not trying to push any rule boundaries. If it's deleted, fine. Asking why was out of curiousity more than some sort of internet forum anarchy. :-)

Fair do's mate, I sort of see where you're coming from (certainly about social conditioning) but the thread would've degenerated into a slanging match where people list more racist slurs, whilst others get pissed off and complain. Easier to nip it in the bud now. There was no sinister motive behind deleting it.

Bigga said:
Granted, Ric said more eloquently what I meant to say, but my original point remains the same.

InvisibleMan said:
Thought it might be slighty controversial, yes. But thought that might make for an interesting thread. It was after thinking, or wondering, why we are ok with certain ethnic slurs and even laugh at them...but others we are offended by; possibly more the result of an instant reaction due to social conditioning rather than taking real offense.

The reaction to the thread seems to highlight this. I'm not trying to test anyones patience and i'm not trying to push any rule boundaries. If it's deleted, fine. Asking why was out of curiousity more than some sort of internet forum anarchy. :-)

Taking into account this paragraph, it slants your OP, somewhat, and raises a legitimate question. It's just how you did it, originally, that lays it open to abuse from abusers.

In addition, I'd like to take a point you raised, when you say 'social conditioning'. To me, that's a massive overstatement, from my point of view. I have been, as you are, open to 'social conditioning' from a racial standpoint. I could have 'hated' Muslims or Chinese, etc., etc., if left to be influenced by society alone.

However, I don't as my first port of learning came from parental views. I would dare say that this influence is of more sway and leads one to 'like minded' individuals in society that are 'tolerant' or 'intolerant' of different Race.

My question is which category do you fall into, to propose such a thread in the way you did, IM?

A hard question to answer. I'm not really sure what you're asking. Sometimes asking why can be more interesting than just accepting things as they are. But sometimes the people asking why can fall into the trap of ignoring the humanity behind politcal correctness in their attempt to remain in control of their own sub concious actions.

I do both.

And sometimes those who hear/read the questions can fall victim to trying to educate or are blinded by a righteousness that reduces their ability to see the question as genuine as apposed to rebelion, ignorance or hatred...or whatever. Most discussions then fall into arguments where questions are answered that where never asked and lables are wrongly given to those who asked the question.

Or something like that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.