Can they ever be caught?

The past is the past and those clubs have had their time for the foreseeable future, and now it looks like its city's time to forge ahead and win trophies so enjoy the moment and long may it last.

Of course their success of the past can be replicated. But it takes time.

The question would be, whether those teams can also win a substantial number of titles during that period, thus still maintaining a higher number of titles.

13 of Utd's titles came in the Premier League, starting during a period when Liverpool thought it would be them, who would be winning it. Liverpool haven't won it since. There was no real expectation as to why Liverpool should stop. Just that they had lost great managers & better teams came along.

That could happen to Utd.

But who cares, so long as we are playing like this ?

Of course their success of the past can be replicated. But it takes time.

The question would be, whether those teams can also win a substantial number of titles during that period, thus still maintaining a higher number of titles.

13 of Utd's titles came in the Premier League, starting during a period when Liverpool thought it would be them, who would be winning it. Liverpool haven't won it since. There was no real expectation as to why Liverpool should stop. Just that they had lost great managers & better teams came along.

That could happen to Utd.

But who cares, so long as we are playing like this ?
It is happening to the rags right now. They've spent a shit load, brought in marquee players and a manager they thought would guarantee titles and 2 years into his tenure they're 13 points adrift at the halfway mark with a 6th place finish under their belt wondering how on earth they're going to close the gap.

It is an iineresting pub debate, and we probably have all talked about it, and I doubt a team will dominate again

But then when does a team stop being regarded as big/successful/important etc is another question. let's take the top 6 teams

Scousers haven't won anything since 2012 and not won the league since the 80's
Rags won two trophies last keeping them relevant trophy wise.
Arsenal went years without a trophy recently but FA cup wins put them back as a successful team pot wise.
Chelsea won things recently.
Spurs haven't won fuck all for years.

The other clubs on the original list have dropped divisions and influence over the decades.

So if you look at it on winning pots at present Liverpool, Spurs are lorded about as are great clubs along with the great club that is Newcastle who have been shite for decades bar keegans time. Yet these 3 are not successful, just nostalgically bigged up by pundits, many which had played for them

Basically it's all bollocks.

It is happening to the rags right now. They've spent a shit load, brought in marquee players and a manager they thought would guarantee titles and 2 years into his tenure they're 13 points adrift at the halfway mark with a 6th place finish under their belt wondering how on earth they're going to close the gap.

Yes, but the question is whether they can unearth a good enough manager, to build them a team to compete & whether the Glazers are willing to keep allowing their bounty to be used on players.

City have raised the bar, imo to a level never before seen, & can still raise it still further, but imo not that much further. They are doing so many things right, as a team, that there is only so far it can go. You could find a Colin Bell to take over from Fern perhaps, a bigger faster Otamendi, a Harry Kane size cf who can also do what Aguero/Jesus do plus win a load of headers/shoot from distance, but imo we have almost reached a level which can't be surpassed, only equalled.

It's also a hell of a difficult standard to maintain & Barca couldn't do it. But if City did do it, then the question would be, whether other teams, such as the rags, could find a way (perhaps playing in a different style, but with loads of 'superstars' ) to match it. Mourinho has tried it by spoiling & lumping & it hasn't worked.

If they can't, & we maintain this standard, we consistently win. The other teams have to improve, even if we drop off a bit.

I imagine what will happen, is that some teams will learn & improve, enough to compete, & occasionally get on top, but we will still tend to be at the top more often than them, like with Barca & Bayern.

No guarantee the rags are one of those teams though.

Yes, but the question is whether they can unearth a good enough manager, to build them a team to compete & whether the Glazers are willing to keep allowing their bounty to be used on players.
Too risky to unearth anyone, they'll keep going for marquee names of which Maureen was probably the one with the highest guarantee of success. Zidane next when he gets the chop at Madrid.

If they can't, & we maintain this standard, we consistently win. The other teams have to improve, even if we drop off a bit.

I imagine what will happen, is that some teams will learn & improve, enough to compete, & occasionally get on top, but we will still tend to be at the top more often than them, like with Barca & Bayern.

No guarantee the rags are one of those teams though.
This is the funny thing for me, people are still lauding BFS in England, it will be a long time before they improve enough.

Well I am 56 and I don't see us catch up to 20 not even with pep in charge, that said as long as we keep picking up a trophy each year then who knows where it will end up I hope my grandsons get to see us overhaul the rags trophy count.

Too risky to unearth anyone, they'll keep going for marquee names of which Maureen was probably the one with the highest guarantee of success. Zidane next when he gets the chop at Madrid.

This is the funny thing for me, people are still lauding BFS in England, it will be a long time before they improve enough.

Most of the league to improve 'enough' maybe, but out of the biggest clubs, all have some traits in common with City/Pep, barring the Depressed Dino at the swamp.

Mourinho is desperately trying to drag football back nto the dark ages, but I would say that Klopp, Pinocchio, Conte & Wenger, are all trying to advance it, in their own ways.

You beat me to it.

Also, your totals are simplistic, OP. You’d have to weight the various competitions. For example a CL is worth hugely more than an FA Cup, and a PL title much more than a League Cup. On that basis, the task would be even greater.
Thought we didn't give a fuck about the Champions league?....Be nice to win it though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.