Centre back options

No VVD for me. Flavor of the month at absolute ridiculous price. Laporte coming back from injury and MAY be the next big thing, but still not fully up to speed. So, for me, it is who Pep sees as his ball-playing CB to partner Stones, because I doubt he is going anywhere after the layout we made to get good young talent.

I think Pep is looking for Stones and Laporte to be paired with two A.N. Others at full back, with Ota and Kompany providing strong back ups in the middle and kids out wide. He wants FOOTBALLERS, not fairly one dimensional positional players. I think this makes VVD less attractive long term and more of a "fill the gap now" trade. Thankfully, and I don't mean that in a bad way, VVD has a long term injury that will force allcomers to step away until summer at the earliest....by which time I hope we will have squared away another option.

No VVD for me. Flavor of the month at absolute ridiculous price. Laporte coming back from injury and MAY be the next big thing, but still not fully up to speed. So, for me, it is who Pep sees as his ball-playing CB to partner Stones, because I doubt he is going anywhere after the layout we made to get good young talent.

I think Pep is looking for Stones and Laporte to be paired with two A.N. Others at full back, with Ota and Kompany providing strong back ups in the middle and kids out wide. He wants FOOTBALLERS, not fairly one dimensional positional players. I think this makes VVD less attractive long term and more of a "fill the gap now" trade. Thankfully, and I don't mean that in a bad way, VVD has a long term injury that will force allcomers to step away until summer at the earliest....by which time I hope we will have squared away another option.

So is it fair to say you don't want VVD then?

i think a lot depends on vinny for next season to be honest. if he can stay fit for the rest of this season and play well then we will only move for laporte imo. if vinny still struggles I think we will go for laporte and VVD.

If vinnie can't stay fit do our think he'll be gone in the summer?

We can't underestimate the importance to have at least one dominant CB. Maybe Stones can develop into that but I'm not sure there. The dream would be for Kompany to somehow become indestructible but ain't happening.

I always feel the best team have one classy centre back and one animal, even Pep's teams have had this... Pique & Puyol at Barca and Boateng and Dante at Bayern.

I'd love to see a skilled aggressive defender with sound positioning come in, we have the perfect one at the club but I'm not sure he'll ever come through the injuries.

I am not so sure what you want with an agressive player - that means a player that usually will tend to send offs, last man tackles etc.
The best pairing is one that substitutes each other. But for me apart from buildup qualities (best is if both are good with the ball as that makes it more difficult for the opponent to press) one has to be especially speedy and the other one good in positioning with great heading abilities.

Bayern right now have 3 defenders and Alaba as an addition. I like Alaba in combination with Hummels or Martinez better than both together when Boateng is injured as even with both being a weapon together for set-pieces and corners they aren't very slow - but Alaba is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.