Champions League Final | Screening at Mayfield Depot / other city centre venues

I’d say lots of bars in town don’t want the stereotypical clientele that football fans provide. Unfair perhaps but so few places showed the match that it must be a concern.
They were all happy to take our money on Sunday.

I'm not in Manchester now but personally I think City should do a deal with clubs like Oldham, Stockport etc.

Could fire up a big screen charge a tenner entry and all food/bar receipts to the clubs.... everyone would be a winner.

I don’t imagine the City/ United thing is much of a factor. I think more likely factors are:

Manchester City Centre is actually a pretty small area when you think about it. From the extremes of where Hulme turns into town to just behind Victoria is what, about a 15/20 minute walk? And from the edge of Ancoats to Salford? Similar, maybe less.

Town can be quiet in the week but on a Saturday which is still probably just about the main day for football, the place is absolutely rammed. Most bars main problem is getting people served in a reasonable amount of time, rather than looking for incentives to lure people in.

Also the price. The amount they charge pubs for Sky etc. is absolutely extortionate. I had a figure which I forget now that a landlord told me for a smallish pub on the outskirts of town. It was thousands per month. He simply couldn’t afford it and would never come close to recouping it with the extra custom it might bring.
Yes, the cost is extortionate, agreed, but would be the same everywhere. Size of city centre though, yep maybe.

They were all happy to take our money on Sunday.

I'm not in Manchester now but personally I think City should do a deal with clubs like Oldham, Stockport etc.

Could fire up a big screen charge a tenner entry and all food/bar receipts to the clubs.... everyone would be a winner.

There’s not a chance Stockport county or Oldham would do that. They are trying to grow their own fanbases/ clubs.

Also I’d much rather the club did something in Manchester/ centre of town

Didn't Mcr council put a few of the raggies CL finals on back in the day ? Exchange sq/Albert Square? I know for sure they've had England games on, but am I wrong in thinking them smelly bastards were on in a final or two.?

If that’s true, do you think that’s down to the bitterness of the relationship between the two sets of supporters in the city?

I can see why cities like Leeds and Newcastle might have more footy watching places cos it’s less likely to kick off maybe, but the comparison would be better with Liverpool, Sheffield or Birmingham perhaps.
Without stats we’re just guessing aren’t we, but it would be interesting to see them compared.
I think it's more to do with the fact that the pubs don't need to show the football to get the punters in. They are rammed anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.