Ched Evans - serious injury

york away to this!

...listened to something on the radio this morning (clearly he's been convicted of rape and lost two appeals)

some say he will have served his sentence and been released from prison so why should he not be able to play...

some say he shows no remorse, still says he did not do it and should never be able to play again

He may be too fat and crap after being inside for a few years anyway...

what do you think, could he play in the prem? in sunday league?

I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be allowed to earn a living just because his trade happens to be football. If he genuinely doesn't believe he raped her then he is perfectly entitled to maintain that position too not that I think that has any relevance to whether he should be allowed to go out and earn money once he has been released.

Apparently - on 5 live this morning - there is a 90,000 strong petition in Sheffield saying he shouldn't be allowed to play - I presume for Sheffield United.

Personally, I say no.

I know that football clubs are generally very short sighted, but, I would be extremely surprised if any club were to sign a convicted rapist. I just cannot see it happening.

The question isn't should he be able to play, its more a case of will anyone take him on at their club?

But yes in theory he should be able to play as that is his job

the blue panther said:
Apparently - on 5 live this morning - there is a 90,000 strong petition in Sheffield saying he shouldn't be allowed to play - I presume for Sheffield United.

Personally, I say no.

I know that football clubs are generally very short sighted, but, I would be extremely surprised if any club were to sign a convicted rapist. I just cannot see it happening.

If clubs choose not to employ him, that is fine, that is their decision. The question is should he be allowed to be a professional footballer? Should clubs be told they cannot take him on because of what he has done?

For club, yes but not for the naional team.

If I was convicted of rape I would not be able to work in my field again because I work with vunerable adults. That's not the case of Evans but I think representing your country following a serious criminal conviction shouldn't be allowed but I've no objection with him playing club football

I don't think you can tell anyone they're not allowed to employ him, but equally, it says a lot about football if they're willing to employ a convicted rapist. It's not like an ordinary job. A plumber doesn't have thousands of people cheering for him and idolising him every week. Personally, I'd hope for a collective agreement, similar to the agreement that the media seem to have to not use any of Gary Glitter's music any more. He's entitled to get a job once he's served his sentence, but he's not entitled to get a particular job.

I think he should be able to ply his trade, though one chap pointed out that solicitors and doctors, for example, have a code of practice for the profession that would forbid anyone being employed with a serious criminal record.

It would appear that the PFA do not have such a code - so as such, should someone choose to employ him, they are entitled to do so.

Unless each club has a policy, though to be frank would anyone take the risk/backlash?

Lancet Fluke said:
the blue panther said:

Personally, I say no.

If clubs choose not to employ him, that is fine, that is their decision. The question is should he be allowed to be a professional footballer? Should clubs be told they cannot take him on because of what he has done?

There would be no legal reason to prevent a club taking him on. But, in the UK, clubs of whatever sport to a greater or lessor extent mirror the values of the communities in which they sit ( with the obvious exception of the Rags --- and Wasps who bizzarly, have just moved to Coventry ffs!).So Sheffield has spoken, and for what its worth I agree with them

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.