City Fans Leaving Early/Empty seats

In my mind, whilst the poor transport infrastructure does and always will play a part in fans leaving early, I also think what's being dished out on the pitch also plays a major part. I don't mean in individual matches, but generally.

Saturday had the feeling of an end of season game to me, with another season of promise ultimately ending in disappointment. This year has been particularly disappointing given the hype around Guardiola. Three years on the trot we are playing for minor honours, with this season being particularly disappointing given that we are out of the running for the title and have been dumped out of the CL already. And given the way things have gone, can you really see this lot raising their game to win the cup? I can't but obviously I hope I'm wrong.
agreed, i was actually bored on Saturday watching that, even scoring 3 goals it was dull. They need to do something to make it a little more exciting. Speed up build up play and a few more shots would help.

I've a slightly different take on this. We all know that the away supporters are diehard fans, traveling the country at great expense to follow the Blues and always stay to the end.

Well, there's another group of diehard fans that for the most part go unnoticed and do not go home early. I live in Norwich and I'm a season ticket holder, a good round trip is nine hours (that would be a record breaker), but with toilet breaks and petrol stops a ten hour round trip is a result for my wife and I to get to the Etihad. I state this not for a round of applause but because we're not alone. Even out here in the sticks Blues in Kings Lynn, Ipswich and all points middle of nowhere make the trip regularly and I know, because my wife runs the supporters club out here, that other Blues schlep huge distances to get to a home game from all over the country. Most are exiled Mancunians but an increasing number of youngsters are not, though they usually have a Blue mum or dad.

In my experience and it is anecdotal, these long haul supporters (at least those that are driving and that's the majority) never leave early, there's no point. Leaving early to avoid twenty minutes getting out of the car park is not an issue when it's five hours back whichever way you cut it. Besides, if you've come all that way to see the Blues you milk every second. So next time you hear a Suffolk or South Wales accent or whatever at the Etihad don't automatically think tourist, think about how long it took that Blue to actually get to the match and ask yourself whether you'd be willing to put that shift in.

Last edited:
I've a slightly different take on this. We all know that the away supporters are diehard fans, traveling the country at great expense to follow the Blues and always stay to the end.

Well, there's another group of diehard fans that for the most part go unnoticed and do not go home early. I live in Norwich and I'm a season ticket holder, a good round trip is nine hours (that would be a record breaker), but with toilet breaks and petrol stops a ten hour round trip is a result for my wife and I to get to the Etihad. I state this not for a round of applause but because we're not alone. Even out here in the sticks Blues in Kings Lynn, Ipswich and all points middle of nowhere make the trip regularly and I know, because my wife runs the supporters club out here, that other Blues schlep huge distances to get to a home game from all over the country. Most are exiled Mancunians but an increasing number of youngsters are not, though they usually have a Blue mum or dad.

In my experience and it is anecdotal, these long haul supporters (at least those that are driving, and that's the majority) never leave early, there's no point. Leaving early to avoid twenty minutes getting out of the car park is not an issue when it's five hours back whichever way you cut it. Besides, if you've come all that way to see the Blues you milk every second. So next time you hear a Suffolk or South Wales accent or whatever at the Etihad don't automatically think tourist, think about how long it took that Blue to actually get to the match and ask yourself whether you'd be willing to put that shift in.

here here - spot on fella - would never dream of leaving early - travelled too far to watch it, and don't talk about a night match where all the motorways are closed in sections and another hour is added to your journey home !

here here - spot on fella - would never dream of leaving early - travelled too far to watch it, and don't talk about a night match where all the motorways are closed in sections and another hour is added to your journey home !

Yep, there's many a time my wife and I have had a late night/early morning detour around Doncaster.

A country lane ramble around Lincolnshire and a side street tour of Holmfirth were particularly memorable.

Yep, there's many a time my wife and I have had a late night/early morning detour around Doncaster.

A country lane ramble around Lincolnshire and a side street tour of Holmfirth were particularly memorable.
Yep an M6 one this week - got in for 2am and had an under 14's match at 10am (not good) but many of us do it without moaning. The derby will be a challenge can't even think of what time we will get back and my son has to have the 'dentist appointment' in the afternoon to leave on time - will we leave the match early?- would never dream of it !

Yep an M6 one this week - got in for 2am and had an under 14's match at 10am (not good) but many of us do it without moaning. The derby will be a challenge can't even think of what time we will get back and my son has to have the 'dentist appointment' in the afternoon to leave on time - will we leave the match early?- would never dream of it !

Whereabouts in the country are you?

From reading the posts on this article , there are clearly so many blues who regularly travel hundreds of miles to get to our games and deserve massive amounts of credit for their support of the team on a regular basis.

Well done guys you are the tops .

Not sure how we address the issue of people leaving early though, and something I totally do not understand.

From reading the posts on this article , there are clearly so many blues who regularly travel hundreds of miles to get to our games and deserve massive amounts of credit for their support of the team on a regular basis.

Well done guys you are the tops .

Not sure how we address the issue of people leaving early though, and something I totally do not understand.

Have the eagle eyed security to note down people who do leave early, if they do it consistently write a letter saying it is impacting the atmosphere and should they keep doing it the club will relocate them somewhere off camera and well out the way so when they do go others do not have their view blocked.

What is it that annoys people about people leaving early ? Genuine Question
Is it they think the team won't think we like them ? They know it happens at every single club so I don't think they are daft enough to think that

Is it having to stand up for 2 seconds while someone goes past ?

Is it cos they think some rag mates might take a picture 5 minutes from time and make a joke about empty seats ?

Like I say it happens at every single club and I find people moaning about it very bizarre

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.