City Signed Georgi Kinkladze July 15th 1995

He had undoubted quality but nowhere near our top 5 greatest players,that’s doing our elite world class players of the last decade or so such a disservice, kinky would struggle to get in our top 30 all time greats

Many many blues would 100% disagree with you, and they'd be right to do so mate.

Many many blues would 100% disagree with you, and they'd be right to do so mate.
Everybody has their own opinion pal, that was mine :), like I said undoubted quality when he could be arsed, always thought it looked exaggerated by the shite around him at the time! but I’ll give him the fact his goal against Southampton is in my top 5 best goals at maine road :)

Everybody has their own opinion pal, that was mine :), like I said undoubted quality when he could be arsed, always thought it looked exaggerated by the shite around him at the time! but I’ll give him the fact his goal against Southampton is in my top 5 best goals at maine road :)

Opinions are just that mate and as you say we're all entitled to them.

Some fans act like you've shot their Dog if you don't mention their favourite player :)

Kinky was an amazing player. Watching that first game against Tottenham we had heard what Franny Lee and Alan Ball had said about him and he lived up to the expectations. Fantastic speed and acceleration, dribbling ability with the ball glued to his feet were so apparent in that first match. I remember walking away from the game thinking we had signed a fantastic player and he was the talk of all discussions. He was on another level from the players signed at that period and the players, manager and fans were in awe of him.

For me that first season was when he was by far at his peak and where he showed his immense natural ability. His level of acceleration to surge away from defenders dropped off afterwards.

I remember standing behind the fence at Platt Lane watching training and even in the first season Kinky just sat out the shuttle runs. Alan Ball let him get away with things big time.

Kinky and Nicky Summerbee would be out at the nightclubs around Stockport and Cheshire after not too long also, being great pals. Initially certainly Kinky did not drink, but I think his lifestyle and attitude to training affected his performance later. There was undoubtably a big drinking culture among the players at the time also. Despite that Kinky could still turn it on when he wanted, throughout his time at City and I personally found him a joy to watch in a difficult period for the club.

If only Pep had been around and the players of today, to nurture him.

He wasn't better than Bell IMO, that list of players wouldn't get on the top 5 list of just skilful players who wore a city shirt.

Kinkladze would have been unbelievable in this modern side.
He’s still my all time hero and I’ll barely hear a word against him. However….

If he was around now then to get anywhere near this side he’d have to graft - and I’m not sure that’s in him. Actually I’m sure that it isn’t. Which is a shame because he’d have more ability than anyone.

I feel like "best players" and "greatest players" are not synonymous and its a bit raggy to conflate them.

Richard Dunne is one of our greatest ever players but he's nowhere near the best. Similarly, Robinho is one of the best players who ever played for us (ish) but nowhere near the greatest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.