City v Spurs EDS Monday May 4th 2pm

Nelly's Left Foot said:
squirtyflower said:
Tbilisi said:
Yes good player,Tosin looked very slow for their second goal,not sure if he was injured as he went off HT.
Didn't fancy going today but it's not usual to describe Tosin as slow

I wouldn't say he was slow for that goal but he made a mistake and was totally caught out. My guess is that he didn't come out for the 2nd half as it was planned that he and Humphries would do half each Hope that's all it was anyway.

I thought it was in slow motion and I was watching on the tele.....highlights will confirm I suppose.

squirtyflower said:
May be we should have played three of our first teamers to help the lads out, like United have done again tonight
I hope you're not suggesting that the rags are cheating? If they win the U21 league it'll be interesting to see if the media report on their great youth set-up and quietly ignore the £265,000 per week striker that's played for them (although TBF he did fail :) ).

Now the lower leagues are over (bar the play-offs) can we play Fofana in midfield and have him plough through 1 of their 1st teamers when we play them?

ColinLee said:
squirtyflower said:
May be we should have played three of our first teamers to help the lads out, like United have done again tonight
I hope you're not suggesting that the rags are cheating? If they win the U21 league it'll be interesting to see if the media report on their great youth set-up and quietly ignore the £265,000 per week striker that's played for them (although TBF he did fail :) ).

Now the lower leagues are over (bar the play-offs) can we play Fofana in midfield and have him plough through 1 of their 1st teamers when we play them?
I think they are so desperate to win something that they are using the rules to their capacity

Then we can hear ad nauseum about their vaunted academy kids

Decent game this. Entertaining, even if there was just as many negatives as positives.

People definitely notice how City play at this level and you can tell they set out to counter that. Spurs did. I guess its always going to be that there will be hiccups while the player are young and are learning the 'philosophy' still, and most of the goals the u18s and the EDS concede do tend to come from mistakes of this nature. Gotta admire the persistence though either way as their heads never drop. It's a proud group of players we have and they never give up. Admirable qualities to have.

Quite enjoyed the game. Naff first half, though we did have just as many clear cut chances as them. Didn't quite happen for Kelechi during this game but he clearly has quality. One moment in particular stood out for me. It was pure Ronaldinho - from a dead stand point at the edge of the area he fired a curling first time shot towards the far corner that the keeper just managed to get to. He's got magic in his boots, its pretty obvious even on his quiet days. His arrival has, weirdly, helped Pozo's game. Pozo's actualy had less minutes as a result but he's been playing in his right position and he looks a thousand times better for it. Came on with half an hour left and I thought he looked bright and confident. Good to see.

Was dead critical of Jack Byrne last week, as I thought he was sloppy, petulant and well below his standards. Changed the game at half-time as others have alluded to. Fuck me he has a shot and a half on him. Rasped it in about three times from about 25 yards and two worked the keeper and the other hit the post. He dictated the play excellently too, spreading it about with nonchalant ease. Hate to say this, but it was basically like watching a little Irish Paul Scholes. If he can do that every week he'll have a chance...perhaps a loan to Celtic next season?

Angelino I thought sadly showed his defensive naivety. Gotta agree with others there. Got caught in behind him a couple of times, one resulting in a goal. Having said that, thats happened to our fullbacks so many times this season that the standard he's being compared to defensively from the first team is pretty low! He attacked with bravado and energy as per usual. Maffeo was just class as ever. He really is fantastic. He got out-muscled once I think, but that's gonna happen. Its a miracle that he's even as good as he at CB given his size and age. Speaks volumes for his character... I've come round to the opinion that he's the most likely out of any of our kids to make it, Kelechi not included. I'm not sure theres anyone in the whole City set up that reads a tackle as well as he does. He was in the right place to get himself a tap in too after a bit of a scramble. I also wouldn't say Tosin is slow. Maybe he got caught a bit flat-footed for once but thats really unlike him. He's usually pretty fast. Can only presume he was taken off at half time to quite literally give him and Humphreys a half each. They're not regulars at this level yet.

Horsfield is naff in my opinion. He might make a decent lower league player somewhere as he works hard but his lack of nous really shows up when surrounded by the much more talented players. Intima tries, and he got a good goal, but i'm not convinced he has that required *something* to make it here. I'd guess he'd end up playing professional at a mid to lower level team in Portugal one day back at home.. Drury too i think has missed the City boat, its left him well and truly behind I think. Nice, honest little player but just not the required standard. Likewise, O'Brien is no Gunn based on what i've seen.

I thought Glendon was better than he was on Thursday. Not great, but decent and a lot more involved with some nice passes. His quick one-two short corner routine for our third was great. Really nicely worked and the kind of thing you can only do if you have a decent level of ability, which they both obviously do. Garcia, as NLF said, was decent. I don't think he's found a way to consistently leave an impression on a game at this level yet, drifting in and out of play at times, though he is so so young and even then he was still involved in just about anything and everything we did that was good. Speaks volumes for his ability really. Nemane i thought struggled a bit being positioned on the left though he always tried hard to work his fullback. He actually scored a fucking belter - bicycle kick from inside the area but the linesmen ruled that ball had just crossed out of play before the cross was made. Well unlucky.

Overall a decent game. I have noticed a bit of a pattern though. You can't help but get a sense of deja vu when watching the EDS. The team starts poorly, goes in behind at half-time and then one or two changes are made and there's an immediate and concerted fightback that usually turns the game around in City's favour. Can't question the teams spirit, as they fight back well but we always seem to get the starting line up wrong and we always start badly. It doesn't show up too well on Vieira that on face value, but I dont think its as simple as that as I do believe he's told to give players like Drury and Horsfield games as they need to find clubs too. They're useless sat in the stands...it surely has to be that cos they're not in the team on merit as there are many better than them. Who knows?

Interesting to note that there was no Barker, Ntcham or Gunn involved. Dead excited for the PLIC final against Porto on Friday too. Expect all three will be there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.