City Women - Champions and Continental Cup Winners 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: City Ladies

Nelly's Left Foot said:
The first competitive game was the FA Cup game against Reading on Sunday which we won 2.1

The first league game is against Liverpool away on Thursday night starting 7.45 and it on telly as well.

The first home league game is next Sunday v Bristol Academy at the Athletics Arena starting 2pm.It seems from posts on here that you can get free tickets or maybe those who have must have better contacts than I have as mine's paid for.

hope they don't brick any of our coaches

Nelly's Left Foot said:
The first competitive game was the FA Cup game against Reading on Sunday which we won 2.1

The first league game is against Liverpool away on Thursday night starting 7.45 and it on telly as well.

The first home league game is next Sunday v Bristol Academy at the Athletics Arena starting 2pm.It seems from posts on here that you can get free tickets or maybe those who have must have better contacts than I have as mine's paid for.

Has John Henry re-appointed Crappenberg to oversee the next re-writing of the Laws of the Game?

The Liverpool v City game is at the Select Stadium in Widnes, only about 30/40 minutes from Manchester with easy access from the M62.

Pay a fiver at the turnstile apparently. That's good value.

I'm definitely going.

BT Sport 1
Liverpool ladies v City ladies
Thursday 17 April 2014
7pm

For those not able to go to Widnes and watch in person.

BBC Sport have done an info piece on the different teams, and predicted how they think each team will do. For us they reckon a solid mid-table finish with the intention of pushing on in the following season:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26968386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26968386</a>

Falastur said:
BBC Sport have done an info piece on the different teams, and predicted how they think each team will do. For us they reckon a solid mid-table finish with the intention of pushing on in the following season:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26968386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26968386</a>

I find this interesting, from what I get from it only those 5 train full time.

Reading the Liverpool write up it's made out that the whole team train full time and the reason they won the title last season, or was in in relation to the ten players they signed last year?

Manchester City Women

Form: New to WSL, they finished fourth in 2012-13 FA Women's Premier League.

Manager: Nick Cushing is new to coaching women's football and has coached in the club's academy teams.

Digital Ambassador: England captain Steph Houghton.

Ground: Manchester Sport City, M11 3FF. Ticket prices: £6 adults; £4 concessions. Season tickets: £48 and £30.

Prospects: Manchester City are the great unknown. Controversially introduced into the top tier instead of the more renowned women's team Doncaster Rovers Belles, City have wasted little time in flexing their financial muscles by signing an English international spine of goalkeeper Karen Bardsley, Steph Houghton, midfielder Jill Scott and striker Toni Duggan. The quartet have been joined by New Zealand international Betsy Hassett and all five train full-time. How the rest of the squad fares will be interesting, but talk of a title shot has been played down by captain Houghton and they will soon find out where they stand in the opening fixture against reigning champions Liverpool.

Sue Smith's verdict: "I've spoken to Steph Houghton and Jill Scott and they are playing down their chances, but they have been impressed by the non-international players in the team. It will be a learning curve, though, because experience counts for a lot. Perhaps a mid-table finish will be a good first season with an eye on building for next season."

I'm right in saying we have had a "Manchester City ladies" team for years and years yes? One that played in the club shirts and was fully linked to the club. They may not have made it into the top flight but they were city's ladies team. Often wonder how they feel about being dumped and wiped from history with all the hype about "MCFC Womens" being newly formed and all the top players brought in, with no mention of the old team having even existed.

Nelly's Left Foot said:
bluebc said:
Had an email from the club today advertising tickets for match on sunday 20th against Bristol from £6 adults £4 kids, clicked the link and they're actually free, bit of poor advertising and promotion by the club, got some for the missus and kids.

Free! Something's gone wrong there and if you got them for nothing I think you might just have been lucky.

Free to seasoncard holders this one same with the game against Reading

kippaxkid74 said:
I'm right in saying we have had a "Manchester City ladies" team for years and years yes? One that played in the club shirts and was fully linked to the club. They may not have made it into the top flight but they were city's ladies team. Often wonder how they feel about being dumped and wiped from history with all the hype about "MCFC Womens" being newly formed and all the top players brought in, with no mention of the old team having even existed.

I don't think they feel too bad about it considering that the management/coaching team hasn't changed, most of the players haven't changed, and so on. Let's not kid ourselves that the MCWFC fans are anything other than MCFC fans with a bit of spare time and possibly a female member of the family who wants to attend. I honestly don't believe that this is a major thing. After all, it's not like they've done what Doncaster (formerly Lincoln City Ladies) did, which is have their links to the men's club severed and had to seek a new partner.

sam-caddick said:
I find this interesting, from what I get from it only those 5 train full time.

Reading the Liverpool write up it's made out that the whole team train full time and the reason they won the title last season, or was in in relation to the ten players they signed last year?

It's hard for WSL teams to train full-time because the league has a rule (aimed at financial stability, not restricting potential) that clubs are only allowed to employ max. four players full-time. What a number of clubs seem to do is hire extra full-time players in community roles so that they don't technically count as professional players - I believe Toni Duggan has this job spec for us - but there aren't really any clubs willing to hire 20 people full-time just to get around the league's full-time rules. It looks like Liverpool hired 10 new players to train full-time last season, but I think to claim that their entire squad are pros is probably going too far. They are probably still majority semi-pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.