City's 2001/2 Division 1 Title Win 21/04/2002:

Blue5964

Last edited:
That season was like a foreshadowing of the Pep era. It was the first time I’d ever seen a City side cruise through a season as the best team by far - even though it was the second division.

I remember going to Wolves and winning and saying “Nobody will stop us”.

Spot on. It was one of my favourite seasons watching City because we really tore up the league (albeit the second tier) after a few early wobbles as the squad tried to get used to what Keegan wanted. We played fantastic football to watch, as well.

Back then, I thought it probably wouldn't happen again that we'd dominate a division so thrillingly. I was wrong, thankfully, but I still look back on that season with a lot of affection.

That season was like a foreshadowing of the Pep era. It was the first time I’d ever seen a City side cruise through a season as the best team by far - even though it was the second division.

I remember going to Wolves and winning and saying “Nobody will stop us”.
We had an extremely rocky start that season. We won 6 and lost 4 out of our first 10 league games.

We took some real hammerings in those losses conceding 4 against Norwich, WBA and Wimbledon.

After the Wimbledon defeat Keegan started playing Ali Benarbia and Eyal Berkovic together and everything just clicked and with Goater, Wanchope and Huckerby up front it was just all out attack and we pretty much steamrolled everyone

My favourite game that season was definitely Burnley at home just after Christmas. They were top and we were second or third and it was billed as a season defining game.

We absolutely destroyed them 5-1 with Wanchope sourcing a first half hat trick .

That's when I knew we were going to win the league

We had an extremely rocky start that season. We won 6 and lost 4 out of our first 10 league games.

We took some real hammerings in those losses conceding 4 against Norwich, WBA and Wimbledon.

After the Wimbledon defeat Keegan started playing Ali Benarbia and Eyal Berkovic together and everything just clicked and with Goater, Wanchope and Huckerby up front it was just all out attack and we pretty much steamrolled everyone

My favourite game that season was definitely Burnley at home just after Christmas. They were top and we were second or third and it was billed as a season defining game.

We absolutely destroyed them 5-1 with Wanchope sourcing a first half hat trick .

That's when I knew we were going to win the league
I remember every single one of those games vividly. I also remember that we won a couple of games with ten men. I think it happened twice. One might have been Watford. Did Tiatto get a red? I might be mixing memories here. We also went away to Ipswich in the cup who were in the premier league and hammered them on live TV.

My favourite was wolves away where we won 2-0. They were challenging us too and we murdered them. Also that era I went to nearly all the away matches too and I think we got some big allocation. Was it Swindon and we got both ends?

I remember every single one of those games vividly. I also remember that we won a couple of games with ten men. I think it happened twice. One might have been Watford. Did Tiatto get a red? I might be mixing memories here. We also went away to Ipswich in the cup who were in the premier league and hammered them on live TV.

My favourite was wolves away where we won 2-0. They were challenging us too and we murdered them. Also that era I went to nearly all the away matches too and I think we got some big allocation. Was it Swindon and we got both ends?
Pearce was sent off really early against Millwall at home and we battered them

Tiatto was sent off vs Norwich at home and I remember him kicking the water bottle. Berkovic scored a stunning solo goal in that game.

Remember going to Barnsley away on Halloween and we were 3 up in about 20 minutes. We all started signing "you should of gone trick or treating!!!" To the Barnsley fans!

Great days they were

They were happy times. I just associate that season with feelings of contentment about life in general. I remember the 3-0 at home to Birmingham the weekend following 9/11. The silence was impeccable and I can remember the stars and stripes bring draped from the top tier of the Kippax. It was a very moving occasion. I also loved the kit, the material was sublime.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.